The 5 Stages of Buying Textbooks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

We all know what this time of year brings; moving into a new place, free food on campus and of course buying new textbooks. Most students feel the hit textbooks take on their bank account, so, we decided to break it down into five different stages.

1. Shock

My bio textbook is THAT much? Lol nooooo thx. I must’ve read that wrong, one class’ book being that much? C’mon.

2. Anger

OMG I CAN’T BELIEVE THOSE PRICES WERE LEGIT. Cause I really wanted to spend hours on the textbook facebook pages looking for an affordable copy…. Who needs fun plans? Pft not me.

3. Sadness

I guess I’ll live off kd for a few months. Second hand stores have good deals, right? I bet I could save that much if I don’t use any lights. Mom…?

4. Denial

I mean I don’t reeeally need a copy right? Psht, why was I even stressing. I’m sure I can just get a copy from the library or borrow from a friend! The bookstore will totally get more copies in before my first project too.

5. Acceptance (kinda)

Well. I guess I have no choice…school is more important anyways. Lets not think about it (or the new textbooks I’ll need next semester). Time to take on this semester first! (: (:

Goodluck this semester Warriors, and don’t stress too much over textbooks! It will all be worth it in the end :) Check out Feds Used Book store as well as the textbook facebook groups and even kijiji to find the best deals.

I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!