5 Pumpkin snacks to enjoy this halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Though the days of trick-or-treating are long over (for most of us), the spookiest night of the year bestows a treat for us all. Amid wearing costumes and enjoying the Halloween festivities, it’s the perfect time to relinquish any guilt you have from your sugar-y cravings and take the night to indulge as if you were a kid again. 

With pumpkin season in full swing, there’s no better time to treat yourself to some pumpkin snacks. There are so many options at the store, but if you’re not sure which specific snacks to try, look no further — here is a list of my personal favorites. Many of these are limited-edition seasonal treats, so make sure to get them quick and stock up!

1. Pumpkin Pie KitKats

This was the first thing that came to mind when I began collating this list. The regular chocolate KitKats are delicious, of course, but Pumpkin Pie KitKats are truly next-level. It’s the perfect bite of creamy pumpkin pie with notes of cinnamon and nutmeg, enhancing the signature crispy wafer.

1. Deux Pumpkin Spiced Edible Cookie Dough 

Cookie dough always satisfies my sweet tooth. I’ve always stuck to the usual chocolate chip flavor, but last year, I took the opportunity to try the Deux Pumpkin Spiced Edible Cookie Dough. The result? I’ve stocked up five jars already for this year. 

You can enjoy this in two ways – eating a spoonful right from the jar, or scooping out some dough to bake! It only takes an extra ten minutes; and soon, you’ll have gooey pumpkin spice cookies with melted chocolate chunks and the pleasant aroma of rich spices floating throughout your home. 

1. Blake’s Pumpkin Spice Crispy Treats

Here’s an allergy-friendly option for those with gluten free, nut free, dairy free, vegan, and vegetarian diets — a delicious treat for anybody with dietary restrictions. As a healthy alternative to the more conventional snacks, these Rice Krispies are balanced in flavor and not too sweet. Particularly, their texture comprises a blend of crispiness from the rice and chewiness from the flax and pumpkin seeds. 

1. Pumpkin Pancakes

If you have some extra time on your hands, or if you like cooking, perhaps pumpkin pancakes will be your new go-to breakfast. Starting with regular pancake batter, simply mix in pumpkin purée. Canned pumpkin purée is especially convenient for college students like us. To diversify the texture, I recommend adding nuts or chocolate into the batter. Finally, finish off the pancakes with your favorite toppings; personally, I’d add syrup or whipped cream.

1. Pumpkin Soup

For a savory treat, try some pumpkin soup! This is a classic comfort dish for fall and winter. There are many recipes you can follow on the internet, often pairing the pumpkin with sweet vegetables like carrots, and spices like paprika and ginger. The result is an incredibly nutritious and creamy soup — great for a snack or dinner!

Petch Lomtakul

Waterloo '27

Hi! My name is Petch and I'm a second year math student at the University of Waterloo. This term, I'm a senior editor for HC Waterloo!