neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 New Year’s Resolutions You Can Still Make!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

This is probably the 94th article you’re reading about New Year’s Resolutions. But have you actually been going to the gym? Are you doing all your readings? Did you even make New Year’s Resolution!? Have no worries Warriors. Whether or not you’ve been ‘’working’’ on those resolutions or if you haven’t made any at all, here are 5 you need to have on your list. (But seriously, you should still make use of those workout clothes you bought on January 2nd.)

1. Spend Time Alone

Between your classmates, your roommates, your friends and your parents it seems we are always with someone. Whether it’s in person or online, Generation Y has forgotten (or is just not aware of) the beauty of spending time with yourself. Make it a goal this year to increase your independence. Personally speaking, the weekends when my roommate leaves town my friends and family become worried at how lonely or bored I will become. But why? I look forward to the time I can blast my ”unique” musical choices, sing at the top of my “talented” vocal cords, and dance with moves not suitable in a social setting! Taking yourself out to dinner or going to see a movie by yourself can be a true test to see how comfortable you are being by yourself. Try it!!  

2. Stop Oversharing

Sorry to break it to you, but nobody cares about your breakup with Jimmy (again). That bagel you instagrammed as your #breakfast? Nope, still don’t care. Make it a point to stop oversharing about your personal life this year. Keeping information to yourself is a fun on its own. It’s like having a personal diary– known as your mind. When you begin your other New Year’s Resolutions (such as going to the gym), wait and see how long you actually last before you start posting pictures of you in your workout clothes, not working out. Deciding whether or not to post something is easy. Just picture your frenemy posting the same status update or tweet and imagine what your reaction would be. Are you rolling your eyes? So are they.  

3. Journal!

Don’t tweet it, journal it! Writing down your thoughts and opinions is a great outlet. The fun part about it is that you don’t have an audience to worry about. Besides, it’s a way to document your memories and reflect on it at the end of the year. You’ll see how much you’ve grown, the mistakes that have helped shaped who you are, and of course – your writing will improve. Good penmanship is hard to come by nowadays due to the keyboards and Smartphones that have taken over our lives. Don’t become part of the statistic! Can’t commit to writing? Grab a large jar and put Post-It Notes of the day’s best (or worst) memory. At the end of the year, you’ll have a colorful project to look forward to reading.

4. Expand Your Vocabulary

Think your vocabulary is ”on fleek”? Think again. If your Word of the Day comes from the Urban Dictionary, it’s time you learned some new words. Because you can’t be “hit in the feels”. You just can’t. Look up a few new terms and start using them in to your everyday conversations. You’ll impress your peers and people will begin taking you more seriously. Think about the effects it can have on your professional life as well! Walking into a job interview and describing yourself as impertinent rather than just smart can make an impact on your performance. Soon enough, you’ll find yourself out of an apron and into a suit – all because you just weren’t ”bout that ratchet lyfe.”

5. Don’t Care

You could choose to ignore the first four suggestions I’ve made. But don’t ignore this one. Even if go out to see a movie with your friends or by yourself, if you tweet about your new beau or delete your social media altogether, or if you still use “fleek” as a part of your vocabulary — don’t care about what people might think of it. Why let people stop you from doing things? It’s only affecting you in the long run. If you want to get your tongue pierced, you get that tongue pierced! (Though, I highly suggest you look at the pros and cons of it – I mean, how do you eat with that in the way?) Letting people get to you with their thoughts and opinions is one of the biggest mistakes we make. It constricts you of the person you are or can be. And whose better at being you than you? Prove it!

Tasnia is currently a student at the University of Waterloo in the Honours Rhetoric and Professional Writing Coop Program. With an interest in journalism and the communication industry, her passions include reading, writing, and watching commercials on YouTube. Follow her on twitter @tasnia_n! 
I'm a fourth year student at the University of Waterloo currently enrolled in the Global Business & Digital Arts program. I have a passion for UX, social media, writing, marketing and networking!