5 Escape Strategies From Your Winter Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

After having finally trudged through what seemed like a never-endingly miserable January, I think it’s fair to say that we all deserve a little self care. Unfortunately, the concept of taking time away from our daily commitments to better our own mental health is something that is much easier said (usually in the form of instagrammable Rupi Kaur poems) than it is done.  With this in mind, here are some simple ways that you can escape the reality of assignments, midterms, and (shiver) the even more miserable month of February.

(Source)

1. Escape from social media

This one is low effort, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy. Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook may be a great platform for celebrating our mental health under a corporate hashtag on January 31st, but for the other 364 days of the year they’ve been proven to seriously harm it. Comparing every moment of our personal lives to only the most exciting (or at least most aesthetic) moments of others’ lives is not a fulfilling means of assessing our own happiness and success. Sometimes it’s important to get away from the deluge of fake-laughing candids and #wanderlust. Log out, delete the app, or temporarily disable your account if needed. The resulting relief will definitely be worth the loss of a Snapchat streak or two. (Source)

2. Escape into fiction

Another quick fix with a big impact. This one is a great go-to when it all starts to feel like too much. Reading a book, watching a movie, or writing a story allows us to dive into a world where imagination overrules all. In fiction, problems are both exciting and contained – a much needed contrast to the reality we’re accustomed to. Given the option to choose between Harry winning a magical tournament by the end of 617 pages and my writing job applications that could affect the rest of my life, I’d much rather pick the former.

(Source)

3. Escape your Monday (…or Tuesday, or Wednesday)

Despite what your iClicker-happy professors might say, there’s nothing wrong with playing hookie from time to time. Do yourself a favour and pick a day loaded with all your least favourite classes, and instead replace those classes with all your favourite things to do. There’s no wrong option here, whether it’s sleeping all day or pulling a Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, though my personal recommendation would be to flop on the couch with a tub of ice cream and a loop of Price is Right reruns. The thought of your classmates falling asleep over their lecture notes while you get to watch Bob Barker unveil His & Her jet skis will throw you back to those elementary school vibes of sick day satisfaction.

(Source)

4. Escape back home

The environments we choose to live in while away at university are often not what could be considered comforting. The best of them usually resemble hospital lounges, whereas the worst can be most accurately described as “crack den-esque.” We may not realize it, but being constantly surrounded by the paint-chipped walls of student housing takes its toll on us. Take a weekend and skip the bars for a visit back home complete with all your favourite forgotten luxuries, including sectional sofas and your Dad’s lasagna. For those of us who don’t have the option of returning home for a couple of days, tag along with a friend for a Friday-Sunday of freeloading off their Costco-stocked pantry while cuddling the family dog.  

(Source)

5. Escape on vacation

This one may not always be feasible, but with Reading Week fast approaching it seems more tempting than ever. Don’t let the absence of travel companions or a huge budget hold you back; drive solo to that national park you’ve always wanted to visit, or borrow a friend’s cottage for an affordable ski retreat.  Regardless of where you go or who you go with, the point is to put some much needed distance between you and the big stressors in your life. The chance to take a deep breath and reorient your perspective will mean you can return to the academic grind feeling more refreshed than ever.

Stephanie is a University of Waterloo alumni. In her spare time, she loves filming and creating YouTube videos. Check out her YouTube channel here: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bizzarosmeszaros