brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Amazing Women You Need To Follow On Instagram

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

There are so many incredibly brave and powerful women out in the world advocating for current global issues, and a super easy way to be inspired by them and keep up with what they’re doing is simply following their social media accounts. They choose to spread awareness and raise support by taking advantage of their large follower bases, and as our role models, challenge us to stand with them and speak up.

It was so hard to narrow this list down, but here are 5 of my inspirations:

1. Jameela Jamil

@jameelajamiloffical

You may have seen her as the sassy, snooty, Tahani Al-Jamil on The Good Place, but she’s also a self-proclaimed “feminist-in-progress” and a critic of diet/detox products for women and unrealistic female beauty standards. On her Insta, you can keep up with her calling out the Photoshopping of women’s bodies in magazines and promoting self-love. <3

2.  Emma Watson

@emmawatson

Our favourite witch from Harry Potter has become a fierce activist involved with a variety of important issues today. She’s a political activist with the United Nations as well as an advocate for the TimesUp movement. Among posts about the “Justice and Equality Fund” in the UK, she likes to share some of her favourite empowering works of literature.

3.  Danai Gurira

@danaigurria 

When she’s not Okoye, the loyal and formidable Wakandan general in the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s Black Panther, Danai Gurira also advocates in a number of different areas. She was recently announced as a United Nations Women Goodwill Ambassador, but even before that, she founded the non-profit organization ‘Love Our Girls’ and an arts education organization in Zimbabwe.

4.  Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

@ocasio2018 

Without getting too political, this recently elected US Congresswoman has been making waves in the American political system, as she’s fearless and willing to fight for what she believes in. Alexandria is a proud feminist and an advocate for renewable energy and gun control, among other causes. She’s a name and a face to watch these days and shows great courage in speaking up against policies she disagrees with.

5.  Ellen Page

@ellenpage

Described as “one of Hollywood’s most outspoken gay actors,” Ellen is most passionate and unapologetic about holding the government accountable for its policy decisions, including, but not limited to, LGBTQ rights. She encourages people to stop spreading hate and also believes strongly in voter participation. Plus, she’s Canadian!

So, this International Women’s Day, I encourage you to hit up these lovely ladies on Instagram to see the change they’re bringing about in our world. And never underestimate your own ability to do the same thing, because your voice is no quieter or less important than theirs just because they have more followers :)

Some other cool female-friendly Instagram accounts you should check out include: @unwomen, @huffpostwomen, @womensmarch, @makerswomen, @girlboss, and @bossbabe.inc

Rachel Kehl

Waterloo '22

I'm in my third year of Global Business and Digital Arts at UW and this term I'm Senior Editor for HC Waterloo. I love discussing movies (don't get me started on Parasite or anything made by Taika Waititi) and eating peanut butter cups, preferably at the same time.
Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!