4 Cute and Simple Recipes to try this Valentines!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

If you’re anything like me, it means that you’re a huge foodie! Food, especially dessert, brings me so much joy. I’m always amazed by the power food has to bring cultures and communities together. Unfortunately, I’m not a big fan of cooking, and even less of a fan of doing the dishes after cooking. If you can relate to my sentiments in harboring a disdain for cooking, but also want to impress yourself, your significant other, or your friends on Valentine’s Day, then look no further! 

I present to you four simple, yet delicious Valentine’s Day inspired recipes that are mouthwateringly scrumptious, and don’t require much hassle (because I know I couldn’t deal with that).

1. Egg in a hole? Egg in a basket? 

For whatever reason, I can never decide on what I want to call this breakfast dish! Some say egg in a hole and others say egg in a basket, but I say call it what you want. This dish is both easy on the eyes and easy to make in general – the perfect savory breakfast!

Ingredients & Tools:

• One piece of bread 
  • One egg
  • Cooking oil
  • Salt and pepper (to taste)
  • Sriracha (optional, but highly recommended)
  • Heart shaped cookie cutter (optional, but very useful)

Instructions:

• Use your heart shaped cookie cutter to cut out a heart shape in your bread. Make sure that the cookie cutter is small enough so that there is still bread in between the cutout and the crust. Alternatively, you can use a knife to cut out a heart shape if you don’t have a cookie cutter.
  • Spray cooking oil onto your pan and turn the stove to high heat.
  • When the pan is hot, put your bread onto the pan and crack an egg into where the hole is. 
  • Turn the stove down to medium heat and season the egg with salt and pepper to taste. 
  • Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the egg yolk is at your desired consistency. 
  • After plating, garnish with sriracha and enjoy your egg in a hole (or basket) with fresh strawberries! 
  1. Red velvet milkshake

If you’re craving a hearty and delectable drink, then a milkshake is the way to go. I’m a huge fan of milkshakes because I love anything sweet and creamy. If you’re a fan of anything chocolatey, you’ll love this red velvet milkshake!

Ingredients:

• One cup of chocolate ice cream 
  • Half a cup of milk of your choice (if you want a really FULL chocolate flavour, opt for chocolate milk)!
  • 3-4 tablespoons of red velvet cake mix 
  • 1-2 tablespoons of cream cheese frosting (optional, but this will really give it that “red velvet” flavour)
  • Ice cubes (optional, to make the milkshake thicker)
  • Whipped cream for garnish 
  • Blender
  • Glass

Instructions:

• Throw every ingredient except for whipped cream into a blender, serve in a glass, top with whipped cream, and you’re done!
  1. Brownie/cake hearts 

This one is kind of a shortcut, but it’s super simple and also super fun to make with a significant other, your friends, or even just by yourself! If you or someone you love has a sweet tooth, this is the perfect recipe!

Ingredients:

• One box of brownie or cake mix of your choice (birthday cake is great)
  • Vanilla frosting 
  • Red food colouring (optional)
  • Sprinkles or other edible decorations you want on your brownie/cake hearts
  • Cake pan 
  • Heart shaped cookie cutter

Instructions:

• Bake your brownie or cake mix according to the instructions on the back of the box (Be sure to line your cake pan with parchment paper for easy removal)
  • When it finishes baking, let it cool completely and remove from the pan 
  • Cut out heart shapes with a cookie cutter (preferably a bigger one so it’s easier to frost) 
  • Put a few drops of red food colouring into your vanilla frosting so it becomes a pink colour (this step is optional, but I love pink so I do it)!
  • Frost your heart shaped brownie or cakes and decorate with sprinkles or any other edible decorations of your choice (conversation heart candies are super cute) and you’re done!
  1. Strawberry sandwich

If you want something on the light and refreshing side, but still sweet, then give this strawberry sandwich a try. It’s inspired by the ‘fruit sandos’ that are sold in Japan. Delicious, light, and super aesthetically pleasing, these strawberry sandwiches are sure to bring a smile to anyone’s face. 

Ingredients: 

• Two slices of bread (You can use any type of bread you like, but soft white bread is recommended)
  • Whipped cream
  • Fresh strawberries 

Instructions:

• Wash and hull your strawberries (be sure to not cut them in half)
  • Spread a thick layer of whipped cream on both pieces of bread
  • Put enough strawberries on one piece of the bread and make sure it covers up the entire slice, fold bread together
  • Slice the sandwich down the middle and enjoy the beauty of the strawberry sandwich cross section and it is finished!

There you have it! Four yummy and easy recipes that anyone can make to impress someone with. I hope that this Valentine’s Day brings you love, joy, peace, and serenity! This Holiday can often become incredibly ‘couple-based’, but remember to show love and care to yourself too. I wish everyone reading this a happy and peaceful Valentine’s Day! 

Jasmine Yan

Waterloo '23

Jasmine is a fourth-year student psychology student in her final term at the University of Waterloo. She loves music, figure skating, being nocturnal, and anything and everything pink.