13 Things to Help You Survive this Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

1. Mittens: having a good pair of mittens is a major player in helping you survive the cold air and wind that can blow around in the winter. The best type of mittens are the kind that have a good secure lining on the inside. It’s great if you get a knit mitten with a cute pattern but the cute design won’t stop the breeze from getting in. A great tip/ trick that you can use to keep your hands extra warm is wear a pair of little gloves on the inside of the mittens that way if you have to use your fingers to text or do something your fingers will still have some protection.

2. Headband/Hat: Protecting your head from the cold is really important. Making sure that your ears are covered is also really important because no one like the burning feeling that you can get when they have been exposed to the chilling air.

3. Scarf: Covering up your torso and chest is important to do in the winter because if you don’t it can leave you with a chill even when your snuggled up inside. Wearing a scarf can help protect not only your chest and torso but also you neck which usually isn’t covered by your coat. Wear a nice warm and soft scarf that feels nice around your neck to protect you from weather.

4. Kleenex: Whether you are sick or just walking to class Kleenex is super helpful. The cold weather can make your nose run for no reason and having a few pieces in your pocket is super helpful. A tip or trick to use to make sure you don’t put a dirty one in with the clean ones is to have a clean and dirty Kleenex pocket.

5. Blanket: The winters can be colder than others some days. On the days that are colder than others a blanket is the perfect thing to snuggle up with and into. Your blanket is something that you can grab to get or keep warm on those days when the temperature drops lower than you would like. This blanket should be something that is your special little piece of paradise in the cold weather.

6. Mug: By having a special mug you can put you special drink in it when you are snuggling up in your special spot. This special mug should represent you and who you are as well as what makes you special.

7. Hot Drink: A hot drink during the cold winter is very important. It can warm you up after a long day outside or even just a quick walk from the bus stop. A nice hot drink can help you to enjoy a peaceful afternoon or with friends while watching a movie or an afternoon catching up.    

8. Movie: A good movie to watch over the winter is perfect for a lazy afternoon or a sleepover with friends. This movie can be one that is your absolute favourite or even one you have never seen before but have been dying to until you had the time. A movie can be the perfect opportunity to bond with your family, a date movie, or even something that you watch on your own snuggled up in bed.

10. Book:  A book to read over the winter break can be the perfect thing to relax and escape the weather that might be too cold for you to travel outside. A book can help both your mind and body relax and find a little bit of peace over the winter which can seem crazy at times. This book should be the kind that you never want to put down, allows you to travel anywhere, and the story should come to life for you.

11. Cream: your hands are almost always visible. You can hid them when you’re outside by putting them in gloves and mittens but you generally take them off when you go inside. If you don’t care for your hands during this season they can easily become cracked and raw. Making sure that you have a good hand cream that moisturizes and really nourishes your skin. Creams that smell great are always good but try a little first from the tester bottle to see how it feels on yours skin.

12. Lip Balm: During this cold season your lips can become very dry and cracked. By having a good lip balm that moisturizes your lips and also tastes delicious. If you do need to help your lips stay and return to being soft put Vaseline on your lips before going in the shower and Polysporin on them before bed. Doing this will help your lips become soft and luscious once again.

13. Heating Pad/Buddy (Pillow): A heating pad/buddy can be an absolute life saver in the cold winters! You can snuggle up with them on the couch or a comfy chair. You can use of these to help you warm up quickly. You can also use them to help cure a sore spot after a day out skiing, snowboarding, being outside, or just because it feels good.

I am a super friendly person! I have bright Green eyes that smile almost as big as I do! My favourite season is Winter and it's not just because I am a proud Canadian. I am enrolled in the Planning Program in the Faculty of Planning, and I am super excited for my first year. My friend Sav and I are Her Campus correspondents for the Chapter at Waterloo! Super excited! The outdoors is one of my favourite places to be . I love to read magazines, books, and fun interesting facts. I love fashion and trying new and different styles. I am constantly redecorating my room to make it feel even more like home and to show off who I am.