10 Reasons Why You Should Join HC Waterloo This Term!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Waterloo chapter.

Joining Her Campus Waterloo was one of the best decisions I made while I have been in university. I am going into my third and final my third semester as the Campus Correspondent and President of this amazing group. As I have been getting ready for this semester, I have been feeling a little nostalgic and wanted to reflect on what has made HC Waterloo so special and why I think you should join!

Therefore, here are 10 reasons why I love HC Waterloo and why you should sign up:

It is a supportive community of like-minded women!

Since this semester is looking a little different, it is more important than ever before to find your community. I have met so many amazing, powerful women through Her Campus, and I am positive you will too!

It looks good on your resume!

If you are looking for things to boost your resume before your next coop or summer internship, look no further. Her Campus is an international media organization, so being a part of it looks really good on your resume. Plus, you gain a bunch of skills that will put you ahead of the competition, especially if you take on an exec role. Through my various roles within our chapter, I have planned events, used Google Analytics, and chaired meetings. Those are just a few of the dozens of resume-boosting skills I have gotten from being part of HC Waterloo.

There are ways to get even more involved!

Speaking of taking on an exec role, they are a great way to get even more involved with HC Waterloo and gain more of those resume skills. Our executive team is made up of the following roles:

– Campus Correspondent/President

– Senior Editor

– Social Media Director

– Events Director

– Recruitment and Marketing Director

– Sponsorship and Finance Director

You are building your portfolio

If you are interested in any type of media or communications career, then writing for HC Waterloo is the perfect way to start building your portfolio.

It’s a very low time commitment!

You only have to submit one article a month (although doing even more is always encouraged!) and attend one meeting or social a month. With how hectic your life can be as an undergraduate, it can often feel like you don’t have time to add even more to your to-do list. But HC Waterloo takes very little time out of your busy life, and the time you do spend on it is worth it.

You can write about whatever you want!

Although we have some themed content weeks, our writers have complete control over what they write. So if you have something you are passionate about, HC Waterloo is the perfect place to express it. Let your imagination run wild.

You get to engage with other communities on campus

Our writers often cover on-campus events, such as the Fashion for Change fashion show. So writing for HC Waterloo is a great way to learn more about UWaterloo and engage with other clubs and organizations on campus. Also, HC Waterloo is a great platform for promoting events that your other clubs are running.

There are some really cool opportunities

A few weeks ago, I got to attend a virtual press conference for Katy Perry’s new album. Because Her Campus is such a large, international organization, there are often some really cool opportunities that we get to participate in.

It’s not all business!

Even though we do have a monthly meeting, we also have monthly socials! Past socials have included a movie night, making face masks, and decorating mugs. It is a great way to relax, have some fun, and get to know some awesome people.

There is a massive alum network!

So I probably sound like a broken record at this point. Still, since Her Campus is a massive organization, with over 200 chapters across the world, there are endless networking opportunities. There are even an alum LinkedIn group and Facebook group, which allows you to easily connect with other alumnae!

The University of Waterloo is a very large campus, with over 40,00 students. Which is why it is so important to find your community on campus. So, if any of these reasons for why you should join HC Waterloo stood out to you, click here to sign up!

Hi there! My name is Caitlyn Gellatly and I am the Campus Correspondent and President for the Waterloo Chapter of Her Campus! I am a Digital Arts Communication and International Studies student in my 4th year. I love to read, write, cook and spend time with friends, family, and sorority sisters!