Life > Experiences

“You’re On Your Own Kid”: Lessons On Making Hard Decisions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

I’ve realized that all of the bigger decisions that I have made in my life were all based on a gut feeling. Of course, I took into account how I would be impacted financially, academically, emotionally, career wise, etc. But at the end of the day, the best thing you can do to help make a decision is to trust yourself. I am a full supporter of choosing what feels like the “best” option for you. I put that in quotes because that could look differently depending on what you mean. Regardless of what decision you are trying to make everyone will give their advice on what you do, even when you didn’t ask. But you need to stand your ground and know that the only person that knows you the most is yourself. Once you start doubting yourself, everybody else’s advice could manipulate your decision for the wrong decision. I’m not saying to discount what people have to say to you, but take it with a grain of salt. Ask yourself: Is this person genuinely looking out for your best interest? Do I feel pressured to make a decision because of my self doubt?

Another thing that I’ve learned is that sometimes you don’t like any of the options that are laid out for you. Sometimes, all of your options require you to sacrifice something big that you care about. But it’s your decision on how you approach your options. A question that helped me with hard decisions was: How will choosing this benefit me in the long run? You can also create a pros and cons list. It seems like a simple answer, but you’d be surprised with the outcome.

When we find ourselves in stressful situations, we tend to fixate on the stress of it rather than thinking through it. Creating a list or doing a fast write of how you’re feeling will help to give language to your emotions. Just remember, that whatever you choose will be the right decision.

Don’t ignore your feelings. Cry it out and talk to someone you trust. Talk through your emotions and why you think you feel the way that you do. Some decisions are emotional and that’s okay. A decision that would seem illogical to another person could be a logical decision to you. You are in charge of your own life.

As Taylor Swift said, “Scary news is you’re own your own now. Cool news is you’re on your own now!

Zaira Bardos

Washington '22

seattle, wa writer & filmmaker Editorial Assistant for Pulley Press Publishing