This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Sweet potatoes, fig jam, prosciutto, and blue cheese? I know, it sounds like a weird and maybe even unappetizing combination, but I promise, it’s delicious and it makes the best addition to a Thanksgiving feast. My family has been making this dish every Thanksgiving for as long as I can remember. The heartiness of the sweet potatoes, the sweetness of the figs, the saltiness of the prosciutto, and the tanginess of the blue cheese meld together to create the most decadent, mouthwatering meal that perfectly pairs with all of your favorite Thanksgiving classics: Turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, you name it! I look forward to savoring this side dish every year and I know that after trying this recipe, you and your family will too. 

This side dish is surprisingly easy to make for how much flavor it packs into every bite. All you need is some sweet potatoes, fig jam (my family’s personal favorite), blue cheese crumbles, prosciutto, and some fresh rosemary. This dish bakes in the oven for 45 minutes and once it’s done, it’s ready to serve! 

Okay, okay, I hear you, your mouth is already watering; I won’t make you wait any longer! Here are the full recipe and directions so that you and your family can make this delectable dish this Thanksgiving holiday:

Ingredients:

3-4 medium to large sweet potatoes 

A container of fig jam

One 6 oz. package of blue cheese crumbles (you can find this at your local grocery store)

6 oz. of prosciutto (you can either pick this up from your local deli, or you can pick up a prepackaged container of 6 oz. of prosciutto from the grocery store)

1/4  cup of olive oil

Fresh rosemary to taste (1 fresh sprig, needles only!)

Recipe and Directions:

Step 1: Turn on your oven and set it to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

Step 2: Wash your sweet potatoes and cut them into bite-sized cubes. 

Step 3: Place your cubed sweet potatoes into a large mixing bowl and coat them with olive oil.

Step 4: Place some of your cubed sweet potatoes into a square 9 x 12-inch baking dish, preferably glass or ceramic, as this will help you get a more even bake.

Step 5: Chop up your prosciutto and layer it over and in between each of your oiled sweet potatoes.

Step 5: Add as many dollops of fig jam to this concoction as your heart desires. 

Step 6: Add your blue cheese crumbles to the mix. 

Step 7: Sprinkle a few needles of your fresh rosemary sprig on top.

Step 8: Repeat steps 4-7 until you have used up all of your sweet potatoes, prosciutto, fig jam, blue cheese, and rosemary. Using this layered approach of placing all of the ingredients into the baking dish in increments helps all of the flavors mingle together and ensures that the sweet potatoes cook all the way through. 

Step 9: Now, place this flavorful fare into the oven, cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil, and let it bake for 45 minutes.

Step 10: Take the dish out of the oven, let it cool for a few minutes, and dig in!

The sweet and salty essence of this dish is such a staple in my family’s Thanksgiving feast every year, and I know once you try it, this dish will be a staple in your family’s feast too. Bon Appetit, and Happy Thanksgiving, Huskies!   

Kelen Tamurian

Washington '26

Hi! My name is Kelen Tamurian, I am a writer for the HerCampus team at the University of Washington, and I love writing and being creative more than anything in the world. My favorite thing about writing is the ability it provides to connect with others; I love how writing can bring people together, encourage difficult and probing conversations, generate smiles and laughter, and create a safe space for people to be vulnerable with themselves and with others. My hometown is Fox Island, Washington, aka the home of the most incredible sunsets on earth! My favorite food is sweet potatoes... I know, I know, it sounds weird, but hear me out, you can put literally anything on a sweet potato and it tastes good: avocado, peanut butter or almond butter, cheese, ketchup, chocolate, literally anything! My favorite activities are painting, making ceramic pottery, reading in the sunshine, going for walks along the water, listening to podcasts or music, and cooking or baking. My best friend is my little brother and family is everything to me!