This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Summer is here! It’s time to get outside, enjoy the weather, and make some memories with friends. Even if you have a summer job or internship, or are taking summer classes, there is still plenty of time to enjoy the best season of the year. My favorite way to capture my best memories is with my film camera. I’m not an expert, but it’s a fun hobby to pick up this summer!

Fall quarter, I decided to buy a disposable camera for the first time in years. It was so fun bringing it to football games, dinner with friends, the pumpkin patch, and on Halloween. So many of my favorite fall memories were captured, at least when I remembered to bring it with me! It’s so fun to forget about what pictures you’ve taken on the camera and see them again once you get them developed. Sometimes not every picture turns out, so it’s fun to learn as you go too. 

This year, I’ve gone through a couple of film cameras, and I am ready to take my hobby into the summer. I’ve found that using a film camera helps keep me off my phone and lets me live in the moment more. You’re not worried about what the picture will look like and having to take another since you can’t see the picture until you develop it. To me, it makes the pictures even more special.

There are so many opportunities to take photos over the summer. Whether it’s a concert, a picnic, a hike or a walk, a day at the beach, a night with friends, a bonfire, or anything in between, there’s no better way to capture the moment. I’m so excited for all of the adventures the summer will bring and I can’t wait to capture them with my film camera. At the end of the summer, it will be so fun to look back and relive your favorite memories with your friends. 

Nicole Green

Washington '25

Nicole Green is a junior at the University of Washington studying Public Health - Global Health with the goal of attending medical school in the future. She balances her academics with time for herself by cooking, baking, hiking, traveling, playing volleyball at the IMA, and spending time with friends and family. Outside of school, Nicole has been a member of Her Campus since her freshman year, and this is her second year as Contributing Editor. She also works for a research study on campus, is involved in Dance Marathon, volunteers at Seattle Children’s Hospital, and is involved in the Greek Community. Check out her articles to see how she balances all of her involvements and why she has loved her time at UW so far!