Why The Weeknd’s New Album Is A Masterpiece For The Brokenhearted

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

After his extreme success in the mainstream pop-culture world the last two years, many fans have been anxiously anticipating The Weeknd’s newest album. After months of hearing rumors that his new music would sound similar to his pre-Starboy music era, he confirmed it by releasing an EP titled ‘My Dear Melancholy,.’ In a matter of a few hours, it became #1 in the US iTunes Album Chart. However, it is not for the faint of heart. 

The Weeknd’s recent breakups with Selena Gomez and model Bella Hadid are no secret, and it is clear that he did not hold back throughout this album. With songs titled “Call Out My Name” “Wasted Times” and “Hurt You,” the message can’t be anymore obvious. The emotion behind each lyric is breathtaking, and the way he sings about each breakup is more than relatable to those who have suffered the same. In just six songs, he manages to take us on the rollercoaster of feelings that was his love life these past couple of years. If you are on your way towards mending a broken heart, this album will satisfy you in the most bittersweet way. 

Here’s a sneak peek of a few of the lyrics you will find on ‘My Dear Melancholy,’

“We found each other, I helped you out of a broken place. You gave me comfort, but falling for you was my mistake” 

“The way I kissed your scars, the way I fixed your heart, oh – don’t you miss me babe?” 

“And even though you put my life through hell, I can’t seem to forget about you”

“Now I know what love is, and I know it ain’t you for sure”

“I want you to stay, even though you don’t want me”

Elly M

Washington '20

Elly is a senior studying Biology at the University of Washington. She has a love for writing, reading, and all things science or beauty related!