NBC / Netflix

Which Sitcom Character Are You Based On Your Myers-Briggs Personality?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Have you ever wondered which sitcom character you were most like? Or is this a question you didn’t know that you needed answered until you read the title? Well, either way, look no further! As someone who watches too many sitcoms to count, I consider myself somewhat of an expert on the subject. If you’re unaware, the Myers-Briggs Personality Test categorizes you into one of sixteen categories – evaluating whether you’re more introverted or extroverted, intuitive or observant, thinking or feeling, and judging or prospecting. And I have found your closest personality match based on this online test. 

INTJ (Architect) – Ben Wyatt

INTJs are known for being rational but ambitious, and the combination of their mental acuity and quick wit allows them to analyze the world using logic and strategy. As someone who wholeheartedly embraces his nerdy personality, Ben from Parks and Recreation is a prime example of an INTJ: despite his perceived serious, sarcastic exterior and little patience with frivolity, he uses drive and outside-the-box thinking to achieve both his career and personal goals.

INTP (Logician) – Janet

Driven by an intellectual curiosity that combines analysis and creativity, INTPs have an unrelenting imagination that inspires their desire to problem solve. Janet from The Good Place perfectly represents this personality type because that is quite literally what Janet is programmed to do. But beyond that, Janet evolves throughout the show by learning that not everything is objective, and grows by managing this disconnect.

ENTJ (Commander) – Dina Fox

ENTJs are decisive strategists and natural born leaders, and who better represents that than Dina from Superstore? Described to have a ruthless amount of determination, as well as striving for greatness no matter the challenge, Dina’s antics throughout the show are carried out with the proper precision. Her goals, at work or otherwise, are often carried out by her influence, pushing personal ideals through sheer willpower.

ENTP (Debater) – Jim Halpert

ENTPs are described as the ultimate devil’s advocate, and this love of mental sparring most accurately describes everyone’s favorite paper salesman: Jim Halpert. This character from The Office loves to execute creative and big ideas, enjoying the mental exercise of questioning the status quo. Through his antics against his coworkers – mostly Dwight, but also Michael and Andy – Jim is the epitome of an ENTP.

INFJ (Advocate) – Raymond Holt

According to the test’s website, this personality is the rarest of them all, being one that strives to leave their community better than they found it. As someone who stands up for their ideals, but isn’t an idle dreamer, this personality is representative of Captain Holt from Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Fighting against racism and homophobia within the NYPD, he finds purpose in making long term change by standing up for others.

INFP (Mediator) – Phoebe Buffay

Those with this personality type are known for their creativity, empathy, and open-mindedness, and this compassionate demeanor represents none other than Phoebe Buffay from Friends. Throughout the series, she spends her time helping others – whether it comes to romantic or platonic relationships, or someone she had only recently met. Artistic to her core, Phoebe’s creative spirit reflects her non judgmental approach to understanding the world around her.

ENFJ (Protagonist) – Diane Chambers

As a natural born leader and speaking up for what’s right, Diane Chambers from Cheers is the ultimate ENFJ. Her ability to see the best in people – even when others cannot – allows Diane to form relationships rooted in authenticity. She finds fulfillment by guiding others to their highest potential; and even though it’s not necessarily asked for, her sincerity of intent is all part of her charm.

ENFP (Campaigner) – Michael Scott

This personality type is described as a free spirit – prioritizing the enrichment of their social lives as well as their relationships – and is representative of Dunder Mifflin’s regional manager Michael Scott. It’s no secret that Michael is the heart of The Office with his vivid imagination and genuine enthusiasm. There’s a reason many people argue that the show went downhill after Michael left; he has an inherent joy of life that is nothing short of infectious.

ISTJ (Logistician) – Danny Tanner

An ISTJ is someone with unwavering integrity and tireless dedication, preferring to execute based on practical logic instead of being lazy or indecisive. The decisions made by Danny Tanner from Full House are rooted from clearly defined systems, contributing to his realistic and honest approach when raising his daughters. Danny’s calm yet strong-willed demeanor makes him the perfect representative of ISTJ.

ISFJ (Defender) – Leonard Hofstader

ISFJs maintain strong personal relationships through loyalty and hard work, as well as through their supportive, reliable, and patient nature. Combining their humility and desire to do good, this personality represents none other than Leonard Hofstader from The Big Bang Theory. Although his intellect is one to be rivaled, Leonard has a habit of shying away from expressing his strengths to others. Prioritizing those he cares about – instead of focusing on personal gain – is what makes him the perfect ISFJ. 

ESTJ (Executive) – Claire Dunphy

Those with this personality utilize their understanding of tradition and order, righting wrongs and bringing people together to create a functioning environment. Claire Dunphy from Modern Family is described as an ESTJ, being not only strong-willed and assertive but honest and reliable. Claire’s take-charge approach when it comes to her family, whether it comes to controlling her husband’s antics or managing her children, is representative of an ESTJ. 

ESFJ (Consul) – Jackie Burkhart

An ESFJ does their best to make sure everyone is happy, being supportive and outgoing in social situations. Beyond the fact that many ESFJs are popular among their peers, often being the head cheerleader or star quarterback in high school, Jackie from That 70s Show is representative of this personality type. Although she can initially give off the impression of being shallow, Jackie genuinely cares about those around her and strives to help them be the best version of themselves. 

ISTP (Virtuoso) – Robin Scherbatsky

ISTPs love to explore the world around them with a spirited curiosity, never wanting the repetitiveness of routine and always looking for new challenges. Robin from How I Met Your Mother represents this ISTP behavior, being someone who is a challenge to predict due to her impulsive and permissive nature. According to the official description, ISTP women are especially rare; they outright reject gender roles just like Robin Scherbatsky.

ISFP (Adventurer) – Nick Miller

As an introvert at heart, ISFPs prefer working in their own space to the beat of their own drum. Although they have a natural curiosity and imaginative spirit, they are also fairly unpredictable and easily stressed out. This is easily represented by Nick Miller from New Girl, being someone who doesn’t like to be boxed in, and preferring to live in the moment instead of tirelessly planning for the future. Prioritizing freedom of expression, Nick is definitely an ISFP.

ESTP (Entrepreneur) – Tom Haverford

When you think ESTP, you think Tom from Parks and Recreation. Not only do these personalities love to be the center of attention, but they maintain their magnetic energy through innovative ideas. Whether it was the Snakehole Lounge, Entertainment 720, Rent-A-Swag, or a non-business venture (such as the iconic saying ‘treat yo-self’), Tom’s ability to live in the moment and follow the path less traveled makes him the embodiment of an ESTP. 

ESFP (Entertainer) – Moira Rose

ESFPs “love the spotlight, and all the world’s a stage.” Many actors and performers have this personality type, due to their sociable persona and unique wit, so who better to represent this personality type than Moira Rose from Schitt’s Creek? Known for her ability to try new endeavors due to her spontaneity, whether it’s starring in a movie about crows or participating in local politics, Moira does not hold back when it comes to experience. 

Annie Melnick

Washington '24

Annie is the Senior Editor for Her Campus UW, majoring in English with a minor in Gender, Women and Sexuality Studies. She is originally from Los Angeles, and is a self-described bookworm, reality competition show superfan, and coffee connoisseur, among other things.