Life > Academics

What Your Favorite UW Study Spot Says About You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

There are oh-so-many spots to study on campus. With so many options at your disposal, the place you chose to study says a lot about you. Of course, with all the available spots to study on campus, I can’t possibly cover every single one, or else you’d be sitting here reading forever; and I don’t want to do that to you, you’ve got places to be, or rather places to study! So, I’ve narrowed the study spots down to Denny Field or the Quad, Madrona LRC, Odegaard Library, Founders Hall or Paccar Hall, and your dorm room. Are you ready to see what your favorite UW study spot says about you? Let’s get to it! 

P.S. These are all my personal opinions, so no hard feelings! 

Denny Field or the Quad 

If your favorite study spot on campus is either Denny Field or the Quad or both, you are an outdoor enthusiast and nothing gets in the way of you and your vitamin D exposure. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but I am 99% sure that you rock up to Denny Field or the Quad with a Pendleton blanket in hand, your Patagonia, North Face, or otherwise sustainable (because, duh, you’re an environmental and outdoor enthusiast after all!) backpack in tow, and, above all else, a quiet, but desperate, hope that a dog or two will grace your presence while you are studying. Did I nail it, or did I nail it? 

But, in all seriousness, if Denny Field or the Quad is your favorite place to study, you thrive when you are outdoors. When the sun is shining, you know everything is going to be okay, and the feeling of the crisp, cool *almost spring* air sweeping across your face gives you the energy you need to power through your study session. And, of course, you LOVE to people-watch! Seeing other people studying or walking through the quad on their way to class motivates you to put in the work and achieve your goals. 

Madrona LRC 

If your favorite study spot on campus is the Madrona LRC, as my friend Carli likes to say, “you need to feel a little bit suffocated to get your work done.” And, if that doesn’t make sense to you, which I totally understand, it’s definitely an interesting description, essentially you need to feel like you are in a sterile, work-only, no fun or games, environment to get your work done. You thrive in an environment where the lights are a little too bright, the chairs are the slightest bit uncomfortable, and the air is always the slightest bit too cold, because all of these uncomfortable circumstances motivate you to study as effectively and efficiently as possible. You kind of need to feel like you want to get out of there as soon as you can to light a fire under you to get to work. Right? 

And, hey, there is nothing wrong with this, I honestly kind of get it! Studying is, at the end of the day, a sterile, no fun or games, activity so why not match the environment to the task, especially if it helps motivate you to push through and get it done!

Odegaard Library 

If your favorite study spot on campus is Odegaard Library, let’s be honest, you’re just there to use the new, incredibly nice, Apple desktop computers. 

And, you know what, you are totally valid for that. Sometimes a personal laptop or tablet of some sort just isn’t cutting it and you need a change of pace. And, hey, if that’s what you need, you are going to the right place! 

Founders Hall or Paccar Hall

If your favorite study spot on campus is Founders Hall or Paccar Hall, you are a wannabe or reject business student who is secretly, or not-so-secretly, lusting over the Foster Business School facilities. 

And, you know, it’s okay, we’ve all been there. Everything in those buildings are state of the art NICE. Founders’ and Paccar’s swivel chairs, private study rooms, and outdoor terraces, are nothing if not entirely appealing when you want some choice in where exactly you study.

Your Dorm Room

If your favorite study spot on campus is your dorm room, you are a menace to your roommates, point, blank, period. 

Okay, okay, obviously I am just kidding around; if you like to study in your room and you feel the most productive there, then so be it, you do you! But, I wouldn’t be able to forgive myself if I didn’t tell you to try, just once, to study outside of your room and experiment studying elsewhere around campus. There’s a great big campus out there with so many study spots just waiting for you to explore them, so get out there!  And in all honesty, by studying in your room, you might start to associate your room with work, and at the end of the day, your room is where you lay your head to rest at night, it should be a relaxing and comfortable space. So, your sense of mental clarity and sanity might even benefit from you venturing out of your dorm room to study. And, who doesn’t want a greater sense of mental clarity and sanity? 

Alright, you’ve made it to the end of the UW study spot run down. How do you feel? Were the descriptions scary accurate? Did I out you? Or was I totally off? Either way, where you choose to spend your time studying says a lot more about you than you might think! 

And, if this article didn’t touch on your favorite UW study spot, I hope it provided you with some new ideas of where to study because experimenting with different study spots on campus is such a fun way to switch up your studying routine!

Study away, Huskies!

Kelen Tamurian

Washington '26

Hi! My name is Kelen Tamurian, I am a writer for the HerCampus team at the University of Washington, and I love writing and being creative more than anything in the world. My favorite thing about writing is the ability it provides to connect with others; I love how writing can bring people together, encourage difficult and probing conversations, generate smiles and laughter, and create a safe space for people to be vulnerable with themselves and with others. My hometown is Fox Island, Washington, aka the home of the most incredible sunsets on earth! My favorite food is sweet potatoes... I know, I know, it sounds weird, but hear me out, you can put literally anything on a sweet potato and it tastes good: avocado, peanut butter or almond butter, cheese, ketchup, chocolate, literally anything! My favorite activities are painting, making ceramic pottery, reading in the sunshine, going for walks along the water, listening to podcasts or music, and cooking or baking. My best friend is my little brother and family is everything to me!