Life > Experiences

Top Vegetarian Restaurants on Campus: From a Lifelong Vegetarian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Growing up vegetarian, my restaurant food choices tended to be somewhat dismal, mainly consisting of stuffed peppers and salads that resembled rabbit food. Over the years, being vegetarian has become increasingly common, and with it, restaurants have adapted their menus to include this new demographic. Seattle’s diverse population has also influenced the city’s food scene, with an array of restaurants offering cuisine from all around the world. U-District and U-Village have countless food options, making it hard to pick where to eat. Some of my favorite places with vegetarian options include:

Screenshot 2023 04 30 at 9.44.25 PM

Sizzle&Crunch Vietnamese Grill:

This is one of my favorite places to grab lunch on the days when I have a packed schedule of classes. They have a grilled tofu option for each of their items and over-easy eggs that can be added. The line moves incredibly fast as you create your own bowl or Bahn Mi that is ready in just a few minutes.

Screenshot 2023 04 30 at 9.42.52 PM

Cedars in University District:

While U-District has many great Indian food options, Cedars is my go-to because of its fast service and ambiance. They have an impressive variety of vegetarian and vegan options that are packed with flavor. It’s also great for delivery because they have bigger portions for to-go orders that can last a few meals.

e4d1abc2 14f6 43f2 b717 09df79509546

Agua Verde Cafe:

This Baja-style Mexican restaurant has a vegan and vegetarian menu that includes a variety of enchiladas, tacos, and burritos. They have a beautiful view of the marina with their outdoor seating, which is perfect for the warm spring weather.

Screenshot 2023 04 30 at 9.45.22 PM

Araya’s Place:

This vegan Thai restaurant has endless flavorful options, including spring rolls, soups, stir-fries, curries, and salads. I know a lot of vegetarians who avoid Thai food because they worry about it containing fish sauce or shrimp paste. This is a great alternative and is even a go-to place for my non-vegetarian friends who love the food.

Screenshot 2023 04 30 at 9.47.18 PM

Evergreens:

Evergreens is known for its commitment to sustainability, focusing on fresh food with high-quality ingredients and using compostable and recyclable materials for packaging. This Seattle-based chain specializes in made-to-order salads, wraps, and warm grain bowls. With a location in University Village, they offer gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian options.

Anjali Schatzer

Washington '25

Anjali is a junior at University of Washington studying informatics. She is passionate about technology and sciences, but enjoys writing as a hobby.