Life > Experiences

Tips I’ve Learned for Public Speaking (Hint: It’s All In the Confidence)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Public speaking can seem like a terrifying feat for anyone. With lots of eyes on you, it is important to stay focused on delivering your message in the best way possible. Most people say to picture the audience in their underwear, but I find that too silly. Here are five of my favorite tips to improve your public speaking skills and confidence!

1. Practice, Practice, Practice!

While this may seem obvious, the more you know your material, the easier it will be. If your brain has to focus on finding where you are in your script, it opens up opportunities for mistakes. The better you know what you are saying, the more confident you will appear. 

2. Fake it ‘till you make it!

Public speaking is scary, that is a truth regardless of who you are. But just because you are scared does not mean that the audience needs to know. If you take pauses and deep breaths while you are speaking, you will appear more confident (even if your legs are shaking). The audience typically will not notice if you are nervous unless you make it obvious by running out of breath or scrambling over your words. Slow down, breathe, and fake confidence until the end of your speech. It is just your own brain tricking you and making you think everyone knows!

3. Laying out your manuscript is just as important

Your manuscript, what you are preparing to say, is highly important if you do not have it memorized. Having it laid out in a cohesive way that makes sense to you is vital. While it differs for everyone, I find writing out your script in small paragraphs allows you to breathe and focus on small chunks at a time. Having your manuscript laid out in paragraphs will let you easily find your spot, but don’t forget to look up while you’re speaking. Also, writing notes in the margins such as “breathe” or “pause” can help remind yourself to slow down! 

4. Eye contact

Picture yourself like a fisherman. You cast out a line to one person, reel them in, then move on to the next fish. What I mean by that is when you are speaking, chose one audience member to look at and talk to for a little bit, and then move on to another person. Making eye contact makes you seem more confident and dedicated to what you are discussing. 

5. Comfort and Routine

Practicing the same routine before your speech may help build confidence in what you are saying. One of the best things you can do before delivering a speech is look in the mirror and strike a Superman post. Hands-on-hips, good posture. Make yourself look confident and tell yourself that you can do it! Have confidence in yourself and practice a positive mindset routine before your speech and you will be ready to crush it!

Ella Cuneo

Washington '26

Ella is a first year hoping to study psychology and communications at the University of Washington. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, Ella loves to listen to music, create and hangout with friends!