This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

There’s a hundred and ten days of summer vacation ‘til school comes along [on September 27th] just to end it…

Summer is just around the corner, and, like the rest of our generation, I can never find a good way to spend it. So whether you are a Seattle native or spending your first summer here (me too!), I have compiled a list from TikTok, random blogs, and my roommates of all the to-do’s here in the coming months.  

Day In Day Out Festival

DIDO will be happening for the third consecutive year this August 12-13th in downtown Seattle. This indie rock festival draws all kinds of audiences who are eager to celebrate local music and all things Emerald City. You can read more about it in one of my earlier articles from this quarter.  I highly recommend getting tickets ASAP so you can start memorizing some of the lyrics from headliners Bon Iver and Ethel Cain.

Trip to Vancouver

Vancouver has excellent nightlife and is the perfect weekend getaway for any group of friends this summer. This Canadian city appeals to the nature-goers who are interested in hikes and waterfalls but also the Instagram influencer wannabes. Spend two or three nights in Yaletown or Gastown, and you will be close to upscale restaurants, Granville Island Public Market, and the waterfront.

Hike Little Si

Just minutes away from North Bend, Little Si is ideal for someone just starting out hiking and exploring the beauty of the Pacific Northwest. This hike is easy-moderate, roughly 3.7 miles, and has a 1300 ft elevation gain. Assemble your troops (friends/internship colleagues/random Hinge date?) and spend the morning traversing through the greenery of the Cascade mountain range.

Take the Amtrak to Portland

Portland is approximately 3 hours, 25 minutes via Amtrak. These train tickets can be less than $40 if you time your trip right. Book an Airbnb or hotel for the night, go to Powell’s City of Books, scarf down a Voodoo donut, and indulge in all of the weird, touristy destinations that Portland has to offer. This would definitely be a quirky but wild vacation, full of lively stories for when you return to Seattle.  

Attend All-Star Week at T-Mobile Park

The Seattle Mariners are hosting the 2023 Major League Baseball All-Star Week starting July 7th. If you are not a baseball fan, I would recommend getting out of the city (see Portland above). However, if you are an avid baseball fan like myself or looking for a way to spend an extra few bucks, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness the best in baseball at T-Mobile Park. Celebrities, politicians, and of course famous baseball players will all make their way to Seattle for one of the most important weeks in the sport. The Home Run Derby is July 10th, and the All-Star game is succeeding on July 11th.

Go berry picking

Check out the lesser-known Washington towns of Carnation and Fall City this summer for the spectacular U-pick berry farms. From strawberries and blueberries to blackberries and raspberries, take advantage of plentiful, fresh fruits that are offered here. Stop at Trader Joe’s on your way home for frozen pie crust and vanilla ice cream to have the perfect post-dinner treat!

Explore Washington lavender fields 

Little did I know before writing this article, lavender fields are in full bloom starting in mid-July. The best place to enjoy the beautiful scent and color would be in Sequim, Washington, where the Sequim Lavender Festival takes place each year. Tourists can enjoy a street fair, farm tours, live music, and lavender-themed merchandise. It’s a wonderful occasion to splurge on crafts and food to support local lavender growers.

Rent kayaks at the Waterfront Activities Center

The WAC is the place to be this summer on UW’s campus. Single kayaks are $19 per hour, and doubles are $23, but UW students get 25% off their water gear rentals. Paddle onto Lake Washington for the afternoon and soak up the Seattle sun.

Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island 

For adults over 19, the ferry to Bainbridge Island is only $9.45 one-way. From bookstores to cafes to tasty restaurants, this day trip is a lovely getaway from the hustle and bustle of the U District. There’s also a 33-mile bike route that goes around the whole island called Chilly Hilly (if you are into that sort of thing). 

WATCH Movies at the Mural in Seattle Center

Hosted underneath the Space Needle on Friday nights throughout the summer, this movie series will be showing a variety of classic and new films for free for Seattleites. The lineup this year includes “Princess Bride” and “Clueless.” It is BYOP – Bring Your Own Popcorn.

Sunrise at Mount Rainier

If you and your friends have the drive and coordination to wake up at 2:30AM and drive to Mount Rainier, I admire you. My roommates have been trying to make the trip to this national park almost every month for the past year, and I think this summer is our opportune moment to actually follow through. After taking in the breathtaking sunrise views of Rainier, find a fun spot to grab breakfast or brunch on your way back to Seattle.  

Attend the Seattle Pride Parade

On June 25th, hundreds of thousands of people will gather on 4th Ave. to celebrate love through the annual Seattle Pride Parade. Reflect and join the LGBTQIA+ community in commemorating past and future wins. This is one of the most colorful and joyful days in Seattle – you need to be there!

Do yoga at Gasworks Park

During the summer, there is a free one-hour yoga class at Gasworks Park before sunset. Bring a mat – and maybe some snacks for a picnic afterwards. All levels are welcome.

Between all of these unique and exciting activities you have to try in Seattle this summer, I don’t think you will be bored enough to consider building a rocket, fighting a mummy, climbing up the Eiffel tower, or driving your sister insane. Unless you know a spy platypus, then we’ll reconsider.

Maggie is a junior at the University of Washington from San Francisco, California. She is majoring in Public Health - Global Health, and doubling minoring in Data Science and Nutrition. Maggie is a tour guide for UW and the social media coordinator for the Food Pantry. She is super excited to continuing on this project as a writer for Her Campus this year, and be able to share her writing pieces with other like-minded women!