Life > Experiences

Starting Fall in Ireland

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

EFS: Early Fall Start. 

For a few weeks before the autumn quarter officially begins, the University of Washington offers the chance to get a few extra credits on your transcript. My freshman year, I scanned right over that. It’s my summer break, why would I go to school? The answer to that question is for Ireland, obviously.

But, I didn’t know that would be the resolution.

I attended a meeting for the UW’s Women in Business Club discussing how to involve yourself in international business as a college student. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Board members spoke about their time studying abroad in London and Argentina. They both stepped aside to allow a professor to speak about her study-abroad opportunity in Ireland.

I may not remember every word stated by Leta Beard–the leader of this expedition alongside Theresa Maloney–but I remember the video she showed. Rolling green hills, sheep, cobblestone streets, and smiling faces of my fellow students set something off within me. For months, the lingering thought of “Ireland” would ring out incessantly. 

I’m in class… Ireland.

I’m at the gym… Ireland.

I’m listening to music, or on a walk, or really anywhere, and all I can think about is Ireland.

Despite the fact that I was a freshman with no defined major at the time of my application, I received a call from an unknown number one cool day saying I was in. I squealed and uncontrollably smiled–which was slightly embarrassing because I was in public but I was super happy so who cares–then immediately called my parents to tell them the good news. Then they told my grandparents, my aunts, my uncles, probably a few of their friends, and maybe that one guy down the street.

It seemed that everyone around me knew that I would be heading off to Ireland in September as a study tour student. Family and friends told me about how they loved studying abroad when they were in school or how they to this day wish they studied abroad. It was always a part of my plan to study abroad, I just didn’t know the perfect opportunity would come so quickly. 

However, when summer goes by quickly, it’s aggravating. But not when you know you’re headed off to Ireland with your peers in September. I was slightly worried if we were all going to get along, but even from the first full day together, there would be these little moments where everything would just click. I’d find myself laughing and smiling with different people. It’s all gonna be okay, right?

I think it was!

IMG 2514

The best moments I had while in Ireland were spent with the people I met. They could be small like grabbing a coffee or chatting about our favorite bands. But sometimes it’s when you’re out in Dingle and begin talking about your lives and insecurities. You need a mix of both.

Speaking of Dingle, definitely my favorite place in Ireland. The breathtaking views atop Eask Tower, the sunset over the water, and fishing! I caught 15! That was a big moment for me! But everywhere in Ireland was amazing. I saw so much history and culture across the cities of Dublin, Cork, Belfast, Dingle, and Galway. I kissed the Blarney Stone, went to the Guinness Distillery, visited the Kilmainham Gaol, and got to hold a lamb. All equally impactful moments that I won’t forget. 

Sometimes, I scroll through the pictures I took, recalling the moments I spent in awe of the beauty around me, or reminiscing on some of the conversations I had. I was somewhat concerned that I would experience homesickness, but everything was so go go go, that I almost didn’t have time to text my parents. I randomly Facetimed my mom and dad atop Eask Tower–listen, if you decide to go to Ireland, please go because then you will understand why I keep bringing up Eask Tower–and they were probably jealous, but mainly thrilled for me. I was so happy during that trip, and I’m always happy once one of those moments pops up in my mind.

If I can make a recommendation, please study abroad while in college. At the University of Washington, there are so many opportunities to study abroad that it would feel like missing out on a crucial part of your college experience. In fact, that’s one of the reasons why I decided to attend UW. The chance to study and experience life in a different country, even just for a few weeks, is something I will never take for granted or forget. I find myself scrolling through the pictures I’ve taken, smiling at the lush green and the memories I now associate with them. Search out the opportunities to make those memories because I see myself carrying them with me for the rest of my life.

Eliza Disbrow

Washington '26

Eliza Disbrow is a sophomore at the University of Washington with a plan to major in European Studies with a double minor in Spanish and business. Eliza is a writer, covering a variety of topics, from music, to books, to anime. Beyond Her Campus, Eliza serves as the co-vice president of the University of Washington Euro Club. In her free time, Eliza can be seen taking in the sights of Seattle on any of the available forms of public transportation, normally with a book in hand and headphones in her ears. She plays guitar and bass, mainly as an excuse to play either Fall Out Boy or Ghost to family and friends.