This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Welcome back ghostly readers, to the ~ultimate~ guide for spending Halloween alone. Are you friendless? Lazy? Bored out of your mind? Just really tired and need a break from everyone? Then, by all means, keep reading for some fresh! and new! ideas. 

GHOST PHOTOSHOOT

The only way you could ever express the endless turmoil going on in your heart is by setting up a ghoulish camera session. 

Step one, obtain some bed sheets, towels, wet paper, or whatever you can drape over yourself. It doesn’t even have to be white, as long as you have…

Step two- sunglasses! After you put on the layer of your choice, add some sunglasses over it to mimic the appearance of eyes (it’s funny because your real eyes are actually hidden behind the costume). 

Step three: profit. Go forth and take some pictures in an empty lecture hall. Maybe spook a couple of tourists if you want. 

HAND OUT CANDY

When I say “hand out candy,” I’m not talking about standing in your home’s doorway with a bowl of Costco fun-size KitKats. I’m talking about venturing into the great outdoors, into your everyday life, and just- giving candy away. The girl behind you in line at Starbucks? Offer her a Snickers. The dude next to you in your philosophy class? Slide him a Milky Way. 

Candy not your thing? Too shy to give randos chocolate? Try sticking to your dorm room floor, apartment complex, favorite professors, quiz section, or household. Swap out candy for cookies, caramel apples, miniature pies, smores, tiny charm bracelets, or stickers. 

GHOST HUNTING

I’m not saying there are ghosts haunting the campus (but if you find one, I called it). Be sure to check the top floors and basements, since everybody knows that ghosts either sink or float. 

There is a debate, however, on the “hunting” part of ghost hunting. The best course of action is a catch-and-release style. Don’t harm the ghost, maybe take a few pictures with it if you want to put that on your Tinder profile, then let it back in its natural habitat. 

As for actually catching the ghost, I do have a few tips. Wear bright colors so other ghost hunters don’t think you’re a ghost. Tap corners with your foot to make sure they’re of sound material, and not paranormal. Refrain from wearing strong perfume as it might scare some of the younger ghosts away. Never go down stairs you came up- either find the elevator or another flight of stairs. Strong chills down your spine don’t always mean a ghost is nearby. And most importantly, avoid ghost hunting in places you have strong emotional connections to. 

Happy Halloween, Huskies!

Beyza Cardakli

Washington '24

Student at the University of Washington in Seattle.