Style > Fashion

So You Don’t Know What You Want to be for Halloween?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Every year, Halloween rolls around with the dreaded question, ‘so what are we going to be for Halloween?’. Most years, it takes a few hours of scrolling on Pinterest and TikTok to find something that your friends can all agree on. So have no idea what you’re going to be for Halloween? Have no fear, here’s eight ideas for you and your friends!

Mystery Inc. Gang

Solving mysteries on Halloween? There’s enough room for a friend group to all be different characters. Or if it’s two best friends, be Velma and Daphne. The crime fighting crew is perfect for a spooky Halloween night. 

PowerPuff Girls

The Powerpuff Girls were a huge part of my childhood. Now in college, it’s a really cute trio costume that is simple to do. Any clothing in the colors pink, blue, and green will work with a simple black belt. And of course hairstyles that match Blossom, Buttercup, and Bubbles.

Clueless

A classic costume is the trio of Clueless girls: Cher, Tai, and Dionne. If you have two other friends who are willing to dress up in cute plaid prints and throwback to this movie, this is for you. Although for these costumes you might have to go out and buy more things, it’s super cute and fun!

Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse

We’ve all heard of Malibu Barbie. But in Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse, we are introduced to some of her best friends Nikki, Teresa, Midge, and Raquelle. A perfect girl group could dress up as Barbie and all her friends, this time just not in Malibu.

Pirates

This is one of my all time favorite costumes that can be done last minute. Being a pirate means you get to play the Pirates of the Caribbean track all night while you get ready. For this costume, you only need a white flowy dress, an outer jacket, and either a bandana or a hat. 

Top Gun PILOTS

This year, one of the biggest movie releases was Top Gun: Maverick. Since this movie has been the talk of the year, everyone would love your costume. All you need is either a green romper with some patches, or places like Amazon are selling the Top Gun uniform as a costume.

Miss United States

A creative costume for out-of-state college students is being Miss USA for your state. It gives you a chance to wear the dress and heels that’s been sitting in the back of your closet since coming to college. All you need is a sash you can write on and a tiara. It’s also a guaranteed conversation starter for the night by people knowing where you’re from.

Alice & Jack from Don’t Worry Darling

This year, Don’t Worry Darling hit theaters as a psychological thriller starring Florence Pugh and Harry Styles. Without containing spoilers, in one of the final scenes Alice, played by Florence Pugh, finds herself in a white dress covered in blood. Unfortunately for this costume you do have to sacrifice a white dress by covering it in red paint. But it’s something new to do for a horror movie costume.

Elizabeth Williams

Washington '25

Elizabeth Williams is one of the Campus Correspondents for University of Washington’s Her Campus chapter. As a freshman she was a Writer, followed by being a Corresponding Editor for a year. In her hometown of Wilton, Connecticut she developed her love of writing in high school. Now as a junior at the University of Washington, she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Psychology. Through her journalism classes she has covered a variety of topics about the environment, social media, and on-campus events. For Her Campus, she mainly writes about music, fashion, and college advice. She also just recently returned to campus from studying abroad in London! In her free time she loves reading (she read 25 books last year), doing hot yoga, and spending time with her roommates. If she’s not writing you can probably find her getting coffee or at a concert, most likely at Harry Styles’ Love on Tour or at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour. If you have read some of her articles, you can probably tell that her greatest achievements are getting tickets to concerts (a certified skill) and predicting the outcome of reality tv shows.