This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Well, it’s that time of year again when my hyper-fixation becomes your issue! In a word: Eurovision. In a few more words: The Eurovision Song Contest. To give a brief run down, after World War Two, Europe came together and found a way to rebuild camaraderie to avoid any future conflicts between them. How to best guarantee another world war won’t break out? A song contest! And I couldn’t be more grateful for that outcome. Eurovision has introduced the world to such artists as ABBA, Celine Dion, Julio Iglesias, and, most recently, Måneskin. These artists tend to start off as celebrities in their home countries and explode in popularity following the contest. That boom makes sense considering how Eurovision is the world’s most-watched non-sports event on television.

eurovision 2023 logo slogan m

Around 40 countries compete every year in May. Two semi-finals and one final transpire in the most excruciating week for my parents (I’m sorry, Mom and Dad). The “Big-5” countries of Italy, Germany, Spain, France and the UK do not compete in the semi-finals, they go straight to the final. Typically, only people who live in Europe and Australia can vote with both the televote—the “voice of the people”—and with their jury, which is a collection of people involved in the music industry and government officials. This year, however, the United States can vote! The Europeans hate it, but I am so excited! 

Eurovision stands for togetherness, friendship, unity, freedom, and love. That’s clear to see, especially after the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest which was hosted in Turin, Italy. (The 2021 winners were Måneskin, and when you win, your country hosts the contest next year, usually) In a show of support for Ukraine, the public gave a staggering 439 points, the most ever received in the televote. But second place wasn’t as shocking as the United Kingdom’s result: second place. Coming from zero points in 2021, being continually made fun of for ending up in last place for years, to suddenly killing it with the juries and televote. Sadly, since Ukraine remains locked in combat with Russia, they will not be able to host the contest, and Russia will be barred from participating in Eurovision for the unforeseen future. As a result, the United Kingdom will be holding this year’s contest in Liverpool, hosted by the unofficial “King of Eurovision,” Graham Norton!

220514 eurovision ukraine mjf 1909 0f2092

Eurovision is more than its hosts and even the songs. In 1974, the Portuguese entry served as the sign to begin a revolution—later referred to as the Carnation Revolution or April 25—which overthrew the authoritarian Estado Novo regime. Germany sent a song called “Ein bißchen Frieden”—translated to “A Bit of Peace”—in 1982. The singer switches between English, German, French, and Dutch, calling for harmony in the midst of the Cold War. Music brings people together. It makes you cry, smile, and maybe even change your perspective. I may not like every winner. I may not like the song sent to represent a certain country, but Eurovision is so much bigger than me. It’s bigger than the contest, itself. 

If you feel so inclined to give Eurovision a shot, the semi-finals will be May 9th and 11th, and the final will be on May 13th. Feel free to check out the previous winners or the songs that have been announced for this year’s competition. Hopefully, you’ll see where my love for this contest comes from and enjoy the music.

Eliza Disbrow

Washington '26

Eliza Disbrow is a sophomore at the University of Washington with a plan to major in European Studies with a double minor in Spanish and business. Eliza is a writer, covering a variety of topics, from music, to books, to anime. Beyond Her Campus, Eliza serves as the co-vice president of the University of Washington Euro Club. In her free time, Eliza can be seen taking in the sights of Seattle on any of the available forms of public transportation, normally with a book in hand and headphones in her ears. She plays guitar and bass, mainly as an excuse to play either Fall Out Boy or Ghost to family and friends.