Small Sustainable Lifestyle Changes for the New Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

“New Year, new me.” The phrase gets thrown around in January as the excitement of the new beginning sets in, but in reality, we tend to throw out resolutions quickly. Humans are habitual creatures, so it only makes sense. Many focus their resolutions on working out, eating better, etc., yet sustainability is often pushed to the side. In reality, it’s one of the easiest ways someone can change their lifestyle to reap positive impacts.

Here are a few small, sustainable lifestyle changes that you can make in the new year!

Eat less cheese

pT0HMmsVZ6c0cxWjQ0mX gQK52Fm3Q1p4237 qAPmNRdNs4qo5fc Wk5Hi01m3wZROvbjBpcmabUhBNg GwOXduEeOkUvZI0ILsGI0Uknc 9biZYR6 NeARKBhU8o5BYYtIm zVXUKwRakaosc5NB4o

Though working to remove or lessen meat from your diet is great for the environment, one food that people don’t realize isn’t environmentally friendly is cheese. Cheese, like all dairy products, takes copious amounts of water to make, and the amount of viable freshwater on earth is extremely small. Purchasing and consuming an abundance of cheese supports the overuse of freshwater, which, over time, is detrimental to our freshwater resources. I know cheese is amazing but try and lay off the charcuterie boards in the coming months!

Recycle (Correctly)

02qf7q HAWvOhF1Cjy9a5V9bFmiaMF gX xD

Recycling, as simple as it seems, is not always done correctly, which leads to landfills filled with items that could be sustainably re-sourced. At the University of Washington, sustainability is promoted through organized compost, recycling, electronic recycling, and garbage bins. All food waste goes to the compost, you recycle items like paper and plastic, electronically recycle old devices (or donate them!), and finally you trash items such as plastic liners and cleaning wipes. Here is a crash course to disposing of waste correctly: https://www.wm.com/us/en/recycle-right/recycling-101

Reusable items

M zRXSZkz2 7dqW 6ItEUrjWJv7npzxye4KE57tRGCJy9v4UUeGce7TSVEK9oLEejHyeFlz6MFRofbgaa MTA mOhm83pJkJZNr Y5WWFg jfYvs1UrJ5bpoCfJ8n VDvrpKlPhPUoHBoBz

There are so many items we use day-to-day that end up in the trash. Take-out containers, straws, baking cups, grocery bags, napkins can all be replaced with reusable options. Switching out single-use items with reusable ones can reduce waste in mass quantities, and you can pick what your reusable items look like!

Walk!

hnrn43nsOJjtYAeU3FlTqAh2WTfsYQdTJR7J0JE0Yhn9nrn5QWLPprwihasMEqU1ofYpvHK1IKlE JsB4AucG NHIFpnJhynfLBmJdunHkbd1maHRS5n2sSOuVR1lZ0e7CUqRmW06snfW9eaogMOTg0

Many car trips are unnecessary when you can walk or bike with virtually no carbon emissions! Burning gas in a car releases carbon dioxide, which slowly deteriorates and warms our atmosphere. Making the small decision to walk or bike (if the weather permits) can assist in decreasing carbon emissions! It’s especially easy in Seattle to choose walking over driving. Another great alternative is using public transport!

Shop locally

JiSei8GHXW48 30X vqsuK1uP282K7dvNR4THKiL 5UFFTJQhbHSWL b4M3u9CCku3Z7Zc4Y YBqXFshRnT0oZEoLkvCf8Szu5lAx3Nb6FOtj7VfyWW7 7

Ordering frequently from businesses such as Amazon (or even worse, TikTok shops…) negatively impact the environment in several ways by creating waste, producing carbon emissions, and more. Though Amazon and other companies are working to reduce their environmental impact, there are better alternatives. Especially in Seattle, there are so many local farmers markets where you can shop for produce or find other locally owned businesses! Supporting local farmers and businesses encourages less transport for products, therefore reducing carbon emissions. Here is a list of some Seattle farmers markets: https://seattlefarmersmarkets.org/

I hope you can find ways to incorporate more sustainable ways into your lifestyle–there is no planet B. Happy 2024!

Abby Heinicke

Washington '27

Abby Heinicke is a freshman writer at the Her Campus at University of Washington chapter. She enjoys writing about fashion, thrifting, food, and sustainability. Outside of Her Campus, Abby is working as an Intramural Referee for the University of Washington. She also was the Editor-in-Chief for the online publication The OLu Muse. While writing for the Muse, she wrote about many topics, some of which included the environment, conservation, and high school stress. Abby also worked for Panera Bread as an associate. She is currently a freshman at the University of Washington majoring in Journalism and Public Interest. In her free time, Abby enjoys playing basketball, thrifting, trying out new coffee shops, and going to the beach when she is home in California. She loves rewatching 10 Things I Hate About You, and binging TV shows, Grey’s Anatomy as of late. She also has five cats at home - Peggy, Pepper, Natasha, Thor, and Bucky - all named after Marvel characters!