Sending Instagram Reels Is My Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

When I used to have TikTok, I sent my mom all of the videos that either a) reminded me of her or b) would help her understand why I was saying a certain phrase so often. I mean, it’s a form of love to share your favorite videos with friends and family, right? Anyway, once I deleted TikTok, I thought my short-form sharing would come to an end because Instagram Reels are “cringy,” as I’ve been told. But who cares about being cringy? Maybe I’m a few weeks or months behind on the trends, but I don’t care! 

It starts with cute videos of a dog or a cat. “I thought you’d find this cute,” is practically what you’re saying. It’s small, but a dog in a field of flowers always lights up someone’s day.

7775295946079891160 IMG 7328

Maybe it’s that one celebrity you’re both obsessed with. There is no such thing as too much Pedro Pascal, so of course my mom wants another reel of him. Who wouldn’t?

Then, it’s that one picture to do with your zodiac signs. “Omg, the dress you got assigned is really cute!!” You’re telling them you remembered their sign, maybe that you even sought it out if it was in part two. 

download

Afterward, you send a “best summer activities for [insert city here]” video. “We need to go to that bakery.” You’re telling them you want to hang out with them and discover and try new things together. All through a reel, doesn’t that sound crazy?

And nothing feels as good as when you send something funny and they respond with that one crying emoji or an all-caps “HAHAHA” or even a simple “lol.” “They watched it… they took the time to watch it and appreciated what I sent.” Those thoughts and feelings may not even register, but they’re there, giving you the smallest little smile or a tiny “yes!” in the back of your mind.

But none of this should be surprising. Small acts of love, appreciation, and observation always stand out as if they were a huge gesture of love. The littlest moments don’t need to equate to a larger one, they are enough on their own, even if that wasn’t the original intention. An Instagram Reel, a TikTok, or maybe even a very specific subreddit about some very niche topic that no one else would get but the two of you, they can all mean so much more than just what is being seen.

Eliza Disbrow

Washington '26

Eliza Disbrow is a sophomore at the University of Washington with a plan to major in European Studies with a double minor in Spanish and business. Eliza is a writer, covering a variety of topics, from music, to books, to anime. Beyond Her Campus, Eliza serves as the co-vice president of the University of Washington Euro Club. In her free time, Eliza can be seen taking in the sights of Seattle on any of the available forms of public transportation, normally with a book in hand and headphones in her ears. She plays guitar and bass, mainly as an excuse to play either Fall Out Boy or Ghost to family and friends.