This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

It’s been a little over a year since Seattle’s last-standing independent art magazine, Human Condition first launched. Since then, the magazine has grown immensely, drawing audiences from all over the metropolitan area and providing exposure to local artists and creators. In light of the launch of their third issue on November 9th, I sat down with my friend and founder of the magazine, Raphaël Gaultier, asking him to reflect on his experience with Human Condition (HC) so far.

For those who don’t know, could you provide a brief history of HC?

Gaultier recounts that once he returned from his study abroad in Paris in January of 2017, he pitched the idea of an independent arts magazine that would uplift artist voices and showcase artist work to close friend, Jen Louie. Months of hard work, collaboration, and fundraising later, the first issue of Human Condition was released in October of 2017.

Taken directly from their website, Human Condition “ aims to connect a growing local art community in Seattle through events, a physical platform and various online outlets. We pride ourselves on the impact that we make in our city through connecting artists and creating a foundation for future growth.

How would you say you’ve evolved since the first issue a year ago?

“Our knowledge of the Seattle arts scene has expanded a hundredfold,” Gaultier says.

When working on the first issue, the team didn’t know anyone in the Seattle art scene or how to run a magazine. “We felt like kids, but knew the vision was greater than that. Since then, we’ve gained the skill and continued working towards that vision,” Gaultier shares. A key theme in the efforts behind the magazine is the power that lies within community and each of those around you. “We make it a point to meet everyone we engage with—real relationships not just that networking bullsh*t.”  

What’s been your favorite event & person you’ve interviewed with Human Condition?

EVENT: Community Center with Possi. “It was the accumulation of everything we’ve ever wanted to do in one event, and we were able to directly see how much of an impact it made”

** The next Community Center will take place November 17th. Make sure you RSVP before it fills up at https://communitycenter02.splashthat.com!!

PERSON: Avi Loud. “At first I was really intimidated by him, I looked up to him a lot. He’s one of the most talented artists I know. When I finally got to interview him, he was the most down to earth loving dude: very thoughtful and authentic, wanting the best for those around him.” Gaultier notes that interviewing him was a special milestone in building their community and who they want in it.

How has founding this independent magazine impacted you the most?

Gaultier laughs saying, “If it weren’t for Human Condition, I’d probably be working some corporate job that I hate. My life would be vastly different.” He then lists aspects of his life that wouldn’t be the same had he not began the magazine; “I’d be a completely different person. I wouldn’t have the confidence I have, and I wouldn’t have met 90% of the people I’m really close with this year. I have been able to meet the most amazing people. I learn something new everyday.

What can we expect to see from Human Condition in 2019?

• “Growing the community

• Empowering more artists

• Making a difference in more than just art

• Putting on bigger events

• Engaging with new audiences

• Expanding outside of Seattle”

What do you see yourself doing ten years from now?

“This: creating platforms for individuals to share who they are and encouraging people to do what they love.

You can find Human Condition online at https://humanconditionmag.com, and in stores at Elliott Bay Book Company, Likelihood and Can’t Blame The Youth. Be sure to follow their Facebook page to be up to date with their events and launches—you’ll definitely want to witness this magazine and community for yourself. For Human Condition and those behind the creation, this is just the beginning.

A sophomore studying Community, Environment & Planning and Communication, Julia loves exploring new places, passions, and engaging with others.