This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

After weeks of anticipation and teasing his fans through social media, Niall Horan released his new single “Heaven” on February 17, 2023. “Heaven” is Horan’s first solo single in almost three years. 

In the weeks leading up to the release, there was lots of speculation over what the his new sound would be. As discussed in a variety of interviews, Horan reflected that it is challenging to return with the same strength and support after a long break. This is Horan’s longest break without releasing an album, even during his One Direction days where they released five albums in five years. Although, it seems, so far, his fandom, the “Lovers,” have stuck with him as he debuted as number four on the official Irish singles chart. 

“Heaven” opens with a beautiful set of harmonies and instruments, easy to connect to one’s ascent into heaven. It quickly turns to a drum beat that inspires lots of foot-tapping and head-bobbing. Horan paints a picture of an amazing love story throughout the song. With lyrics like “your touch is made of something / Heaven can’t hold a candle too,” and “beyond infatuation / how I obsessively adore you,” it is clear he really loves and admires the person he is writing about. The chorus discusses how even if their love “starts to grow out of control,” “heaven won’t be the same.” Some interpret this as even heaven will be changed by the strength of their connection. RollingStone described Horan as entering his “certified lover-boy era.” 

Horan also released the music video for “Heaven” on February 24, 2023. In the video, directed by Dylan Knight, it appears Horan is on his own journey to heaven as he navigates through a series of odd rooms and doors. 

With his second solo album coming out in March of 2020, the week the Coronavirus Pandemic hit, Horan took the last almost three years to create the album that he claims sounds the most like him. His album, announced on February 15, 2023, is titled “The Show” because “life is kind of like a show [with] ups and downs, things you can or can’t control,” as Horan said in his TikTok live stream. 

In his social media video where he reads a letter he wrote to the fans, he says, “what makes this record incredibly special to me is it’s a reflection of where I am in my life today, as a person, a musician, and of course, as a songwriter.” 

“The Show” will be released on June 9, 2023, but in the meantime, be sure to enjoy and stream “Heaven.” 

Ella Cuneo

Washington '26

Ella is a first year hoping to study psychology and communications at the University of Washington. When she doesn't have her nose in a book, Ella loves to listen to music, create and hangout with friends!