This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Networking. Something I’ve been told to do countless times when asking for professional advice. It’s the go to from most people when recruiting season is in full swing. However, I’ve found that if you’re only doing it to get a job, it may not be as effective as you think. There is lots more to gain from networking, five reasons of which I’m going to share with you today in this article. 

It should feel somewhat like making a new friend. 

Yes, this is a professional conversation, but there’s no need to be nervous. You should be able to find something that interests or connects you to the person you’re speaking to. If the “vibes” aren’t there, don’t sweat. There are so many people willing to share what they’ve learned with students and if you don’t connect with the person you’re networking with, it may be a sign the company culture is not for you. Remember, this person could be a co-worker or your higher-up! However, one person doesn’t determine the personality of a whole company so make sure you do additional research and talk to lots of people! 

You’ll learn a lot about an industry you’re interested in.

Maybe you’re unsure of what a day in the life looks like in the industry. Maybe you’re not entirely sure what skills are a must have. Networking is one of the best ways to find out the answers to these questions. Hearing from someone’s personal experience will be way more informative than any type of online research or career aptitude test. They will know first hand of changes in the industry, challenges, future goals/innovations, etc, which can definitely grow your interest or help you realize it’s not for you. 

You may be able to find a mentor.

We all have professors or TAs that teach our classes. Just like a professor, mentors can be your “career professor.” There’s nothing better as a student than a personalized learning experience. A mentor can take you under their wing and show you the ropes at your own pace! The transition from college to post-grad life can be overwhelming and having a mentor that can help you as you learn a multitude of new things on the job is extremely beneficial. 

It can help you find your best opportunity. 

I believe that the right opportunity will come your way when the time is right. By networking, you expand your circle and knowledge, and ultimately can find an opportunity that is uniquely made for you. You never know what opportunity may arise that causes someone to think of you as being the right fit! 

Networking can help you gain confidence in yourself.

Sometimes college can be so overwhelming and make you feel like you’re lost or don’t know what you’re doing. The possibilities feel endless! How do you know if you’re making the right decisions? I’ve found that by connecting with people and learning about their experience in college to where they are now, everyone’s story is different. There isn’t always a set path to getting where you want to go, it’s okay to take detours. Also, knowledge is power. If you have a better idea of what is out there, it’s easier to feel more confident in yourself. I’ve found that researching and “knowing” what’s going on (I still don’t) makes me feel more secure in myself. Having a plan helps, but being able to adapt and be flexible as you go is even more beneficial.

In conclusion, if you’re curious about a certain field or job, reach out to someone! There is lots to gain.

Bianca Bucerzan

Washington '25

Bianca Bucerzan is currently a student at the University of Washington's Foster School of Business double majoring in Finance and Marketing. She has always been a writer but will be publishing work for the first time on the HerCampus website. She enjoys traveling, singing and spending time with friends and family.