This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Disclaimer: I know these are not sexy little underground study spots. Everybody and their mama knows about these places, so if you are trying to find a very niche spot, this may not be the article you’re looking for. HOWEVER after a tumultuous freshman year and finally figuring out what things work for me (i.e being surrounded by other people also doing work and far, far away from my dorm and my bed), I’ve narrowed down my most productive places. I hope you enjoy!

Cafe Solstice

Starting with my number one pick, Cafe Solstice. I’ve written essays, made flashcards, and finished numerous articles sitting in this sweet, quaint cafe near the end of the Ave. The coffee is great and I’m a big fan of the music they play – usually a Faye Webster plus Father John Misty plus the occasional Taylor Swift binge.

Allen Libraries

Allen Libraries is the young sister always overshadowed by her cooler, more popular sister – no, I’m not projecting! People love Suzzalo for its famous gothic-style room with gorgeous archways, often quoted as the “Harry Potter Library”. HOWEVER! While Suzallo is gorgeous, I truly believe Allen is where it’s at. Just going across the walkway, you’re heading to floors of silence sometimes peppered with some background noise chatter. I love sitting next to the big windows so I can daydream after I inevitably get distracted.

Cafe on the Ave

I love Cafe on the Ave for any late-night studying. Since the place closes at 11 PM, it’s probably the only place you can count on to finish an essay you forgot about that’s due in two hours at 9 PM. They also have an extensive menu, so whatever your study cravings are, they should have the cure. I remember writing one of my finals there last quarter and my roommate and I labored nonstop for an hour, before taking a break to go to town on our fettuccini alfredo that we ordered, and then getting back to business.

The Hans Rosling Center for Population Health

A.K.A “Pop Health.” I live, laugh, and love this building. It has beautiful floor-to-ceiling windows that really let the light in. Usually, whenever I have classes on West Campus, I always stop by before going home to just finish off any work I need to get done. If you are lucky enough to have access to the upper levels – you usually have to be an admitted Public Health Major – it’s truly unbelievable, with beautiful views of the water.

Bulldog News & Café

Bulldog has been around since 1983, and its appeal to students hasn’t changed. It has an ice cream stand, a magazine wall, and the occasional open mic. It can be hard to get a seat there because of its popularity with students, but if you do – it’s a great place to get some work done.

That’s the end of my recommendations! I hope you can find a place that gets your brain stuff working! Happy finals week! Good luck!

Kareena Desai Naik

Washington '26

Kareena is a film major, with a focus in screenwriting, at the University of Washington. Her favorite artist is Amy Winehouse and she is scared of ducks. Weird kid!