This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Let me set the scene: You’re tired after a long day full of work and chilly weather. On the journey home, you relish in the promise of warmth and time to decompress from the stress of the day’s events. Perhaps you are envisioning cozying up by the fireplace or drawing a warm bath. Or maybe your mind went straight to the face mask and fuzzy slippers route. Nevertheless, most everyone experiences dark winter days where we could use some cheering up. What better accompaniment to a night of relaxation than a good book? Settle back, relax, and enjoy some recommendations from yours truly that are sure to make the cold nights feel cozier.

1. Realm Breaker

Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard

Fans of author Victoria Aveyard’s bestselling Red Queen series will be sucked into the fantasy setting of her newest release. Aveyard is no newcomer to the genre of YA (young adult), and this first book in her new YA trilogy makes that clear.

In Realm Breaker, an unlikely band of heroes must work together to defeat villainous forces that threaten to destroy their world. As the novel launches into a treacherous quest, Aveyard assembles a diverse cast of characters and complex world-building to lead readers on a thrilling journey full of pirates, immortals, assassins, and plenty of action. There’s nothing like escaping into a magical world to distract you from seasonal woes!

2. A Winter’s Promise

A Winter’s Promise by Christelle Dabos

If you didn’t already think of this as a perfect winter book based on its title, prepare to be entranced by the icy setting and magical realm of A Winter’s Promise. As the first book in the Mirror Visitor quartet, this sci-fi/fantasy novel by Christelle Dabos was originally published in French. It quickly became a worldwide phenomenon, earning numerous awards for craft and originality.

The whimsy, politics, and uniqueness of heroine Ophelia’s world is like stepping into an intricate dream. As a museum curator, Ophelia’s gifts for viewing objects’ pasts and traveling through mirrors add to her quirky and brilliant personality. Soon, however, a forced marriage to phlegmatic Thorn rips her away from the life she knows on Anima into a world that constantly tests her ability to survive.

3. This Woven Kingdom

This Woven Kingdom by Tahereh Mafi

Fans of Tahereh Mafi’s dystopian Shatter Me series will want to keep an eye out for her newest fantasy trilogy This Woven Kingdom. Inspired by Persian mythology and rich with Mafi’s distinctively poetic writing style, it will be an effort not to run to the bookstore when the novel releases on February 1, 2022.

In a world structured by mythology and magic, a long-lost queen forced into servitude and a crown prince shadowed by prophecy clash in this intricately crafted world of danger and secrets. This Woven Kingdom promises a tale full of politics, tension, romance, and action!

4. The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by V.E. Schwab stands out as a glittering gem in its explorations of history, romance, emotion, and power. In 1714, young Addie stumbles into a deal with a devil to escape arranged marriage and is cursed to be forgotten by all who meet her. Addie struggles to leave an impact on the world, adventuring across the globe and battling the loneliness that comes with a life of forced disconnectedness. She lives for centuries as an immortal solitary figure- until one man remembers her. Despite its title, the captivating characters and expansive plot of The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue make for an unforgettable read.

Winter is, in my opinion, the best season for reading. There’s something about the cold atmosphere and limited hours of daylight that keep me dreaming of nights curled up with a book and a steaming mug of tea. Picking up a couple of these books (or all of them- I won’t judge) is sure to get you in the spirit as well. No matter the weather, I hope that the act of reading fills you with a sense of warmth to drive out the chill of the cold season.

Sol Knapstad

Washington '23

Sol is a third year student studying Creative Writing and Law, Societies & Justice at the University of Washington. She is a published author of 5 years and loves reading, baking, hiking, and traveling in her free time.