Making the Most Out of Your Summer in Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

So, stay-at-home orders did not get lifted as soon as we all had probably hoped. Many of us are filled with uncertainty and frustration, as our summer plans and traditions have changed in unprecedented ways. Study abroad programs, family vacations, concerts with friends, and summer internships may have all just been thrown out of the question, but that doesn’t mean that this summer has to completely suck, nor does it mean that you have to sit in your bed and watch Gossip Girl for the tenth time (although that does sound great too). Having a fun summer is completely within range, and all it takes is a shift in your mindset and a little bit of creativity! Here are seven fun activities that you can do in your own hometown that allow you to get out of your normal routine and social distance! 

Take a walk through a nearby college campus. 

Many cities have some sort of college campus within range, and the best news is that they’re cleared out right now, so it’s very easy to social distance! To break up your normal walks around the neighborhood, grab your tennis shoes, your favorite playlist, and a face mask, and explore a college campus! You’ll probably enjoy walking past new buildings, trees, and seeing all new things, and will feel (close!) to a normal day out. 

Go on a hike.

Hiking trail views are sure to cure your quarantine blues! If you want to get some exercise but are unable to go to your local gym, then consider finding a beautiful and challenging hike near you! Going on a hike can be an all-day, boredom curing activity, plus, it is a great way to get back to nature and exercise all in one! Be sure to find trails that are not super busy and take a mask and hand sanitizer along with you. 

Find an empty park and pack a picnic. 

Eating meals at your dinner table is sure to be getting boring, so what’s more fun that to pack a delicious meal and eat it somewhere new? If you want to make it even more exciting, consider purchasing take-out from a local business, grab some paints and canvases, and make it a day of snacking and crafting in the sun! This activity will at least burn a couple of hours out of your day, and a little bit of Vitamin D can never hurt. 

Get creative with hanging out with friends. 

No matter how much you love your family, it is not always the same as having more regular contact with kids your own age. Don’t let this stand in the way of holding onto those connections! If your friends live nearby, then consider arranging chairs six feet apart from one another in your backyard to chat and listen to music together! If your friends are unfortunately in another state, then plan some themed Zoom calls (PJ night anyone?) or hop onto Netflix party to watch your favorite shows with your best gals!

Make time for your favorite hobby.

One of my favorite things in the entire world is playing the piano, but I never have enough time to practice in the school year. Consider using this time to pursue a hobby you love, or a brand new one that you’re curious about! The possibilities are endless, from drawing to baking to playing the guitar to running a five-minute mile! Find something that you’re passionate about, and spend a little bit of time this summer working on it! 

Backyard movie night.

Okay, I’ll admit it: my free time this quarantine has gone to watching endless movies and T.V. shows while snacking in my bed. Want to make it more interesting? Put a spin on this classic activity by setting up blankets, pillows, lights, and snacks in your backyard to watch a movie under the stars! You can even grab your family members to join you to complete the “movie theater” experience, and can extend one movie to an entire marathon! (Harry Potter, anyone?)

Break out your old games.

Little did I know that my family had held onto our old Wii and our collection of Just Dance and Wii Fit games for all these years. As crazy as it sounds, my sister and I had a blast reliving our childhood years by dancing to Ke$ha’s Tik Tok and trying to beat our old high scores at Wii Bowling. From board games to video games, find something you loved to play as a child and do it again! You might accidentally spend the whole day going through your collection of old games, reliving a much simpler time in life. 

No matter how hard times are right now, just know that you’re not alone. Quarantine is changing life for us all in brand new ways, but we will come out of this stronger and more ready to take on the world than ever! Don’t let these hardships ruin your summer, and spend your months off living it up in any way you can before fall comes! Enjoy your summer!

Hi there! My name is Zoé Toupin and I'm from Denver, Colorado. I attend the University of Washington under the Interdisciplinary Honors Program, and I'm studying political science and law, societies, and justice! I love music, movies, politics, traveling, rainy days, and my friends and family!