The Little Prince (2015) on Netflix: Something Sweet in These Sour Times

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

For those of you looking for something wholesome and sweet in today’s day and age, Netflix’s The Little Prince might hold something in store for you.

The movie is an adaptation of the original 1943 novella and was produced by a French-Italian studio. While remaining loyal to the book’s plot and messages, it gives the story its own modern twist. The film follows an overbooked Little Girl as she studies for entrance into a prestigious academy (sound familiar?), but instead winds up befriending her friendly neighborhood Aviator and becoming entranced with his story of the Little Prince.  

I think a good film is excellent in all its aspects: acting, cinematography, music, writing, you name it, all these components have to be exceptional to produce a product that is coherent and impactful. The Little Prince is certainly no exception. The film features Oscar winners Marion Cotillard and Benicio del Toro as hidden gems in its treasure trove of a cast. Mackenzie Foy and Rachel McAdams are a perfect mother-daughter duo, and James Franco’s performance as the Fox showcases a somber side of his acting we don’t get to see in his more popular roles. And as the titular character, Riley Osborne delivers the Prince’s lines with such maturity the Prince doesn’t even strike us as a child.

Every shot in the film is designed to maximize the film’s emotional impact, and the aesthetic of the stop-motion is so adorable you could use it as a wallpaper. Hans Zimmer’s score stays true to the story’s French origins, featuring French singer Camille (she sang Le Festin for Ratatoullie as well!), and is the perfect accompaniment to the film.

What sets The Little Prince apart is how it transforms a classic children’s story into one that strikes the heart of mature audiences. It’s easy to underestimate the depth of animated films given their appeal to children, but The Little Prince makes it difficult to do so. The writing of the film embodies the complex emotions of the characters all while preserving the childlike simplicity of the novella. Combined with flawless delivery on part of the actors, we soon realize that in spite of being in a children’s movie, the struggles faced by each of the characters are very much adult. The Little Girl takes us on a journey through love, loss, and the never-ending process of growing up as she—like us—comes to understand the wisdom of the Little Prince.

If you are lacking things to do and would enjoy a cute movie, The Little Prince will easily satisfy your craving. But if you go into this film knowing it’s one of the most beloved and influential children’s stories of all time, it will be easy to see why.  

Grace Zou

Washington '22

Hey there! Grace here! I like science, coffee, and cats!