A Letter to Santa From My 19-Year-Old Self

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

At the end of every year, no matter how old I get, my parents ask me to write a letter to Santa. I have three younger siblings, so we keep this Christmas tradition alive for their sake. This year I’m 19 years old, and I have a few things to tell him. 

Dear Santa,

Thank you for the gifts you’ve given me the past years, I cherished them all at one point. In fact, the Michael Kors wallet you gave me last year is still being used, and I am still beyond thankful for it.

I’m sure you’ve noticed that I have not asked for anything these past few letters. You see, asking for things now that I’m older is so much harder. I don’t know how, because 6-year-old me had no problem listing every single thing my heart desired, and I don’t know why, it just is. Don’t get me wrong—I can think of a few things I really want. Unfortunately, though, your elves can work twice as hard but you still wouldn’t be able to make my wishes come true. Nonmaterial things can’t be produced in a factory. I want to be stress-free, the 20/20 vision I had when I was younger, flawless skin, and maybe a free pass to the medical school of my dreams. Although those are things that can’t appear under my Christmas tree the night of Christmas Eve, hope is not lost.

Hard work, persistence, and faith can help me achieve my deepest desires.

I’m not sure when I crossed the threshold of wanting an object for Christmas to wanting something that can’t be gifted. But I am glad that what I want is not impossible.

Anyway, as I was saying, thank you for the gifts. I’m sure writing this letter will still guarantee some type of gift from you under the Christmas tree, since my effort to suggest otherwise always falls short no matter what I say. I am lucky, and from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Until next year.

With love,

S.M. 

Elly M

Washington '20

Elly is a senior studying Biology at the University of Washington. She has a love for writing, reading, and all things science or beauty related!