Style > Beauty

Let’s Be Real: Are These Glossier Products Worth the Money?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Odds are it’s a brand name you’ve heard of before, successfully drawing millions of eyes to its products that aim to redefine what beauty truly is. But just in case you haven’t, Glossier is a widely popular makeup franchise founded in 2014 that (according to their website) makes makeup and skincare products “designed with your real beauty routine in mind…founded on the belief that beauty isn’t built in a boardroom—it happens when you’re a part of the process.” The company has been widely known for its promotion of a carefree aesthetic while straying away from mainstream makeup retailers, through creating products that users can confidently present and redefine their best elegance with. 

I too am guilty of jumping on the rocket ship that Glossier is taking to the moon of new possibility and hope for women’s beauty standards. Now, as an average college student who by no means is a professional makeup artist, I wanted to evaluate some of their famed products and see if they are truly worth the bang for our bucks, while promoting a crucial feminist mission. 

Cloud Paint

If there’s one takeaway I’ve learned from the hit my credit card has taken at Glossier, it’s that less is more with nearly all of their products—and that’s a good thing. The same goes for Cloud Paint, the company’s liquid blush. Of their eight colors, I’ve been a reliable user of “puff” for years, a playful bubblegum pink, but I’ve also recently found a love for “beam,” a glowing peach tint. While I think I’d be happy with any of their colors in the right amount, this has become my absolute favorite product in their line. I’m thankful that even the smallest dot of blush can give me an unmistakable pop of color that lasts all day, without irritating my skin in the least. Final rating: 5 stars

Boy Brow 

As another makeup product from Glossier that doesn’t go over the top in either substance or design, Boy Brow is ideal for times when I don’t want to work at a full face of makeup, but need to touch up my brows in just a few seconds to start the day. It’s a reliable product that anyone can use to give more shape and definition to their brows with little effort, fitting perfectly into Glossier’s mission of creating a straightforward image of beauty. My only complaint is that its small size doesn’t last too long with daily use, so I’d invest in two if you can spare (or if you’re like me and you’re likely to lose the first in the depths of your purse.) Final rating: 4 stars

Stretch Concealer 

For my fancier days, I wanted to find a concealer that was lightweight yet breathable, so I gave their Stretch Concealer (and their only concealer) a try. While I appreciate Glossier’s inclusion of many skin colors with their 12 shades offered, I wasn’t overly impressed with this product. In purchasing G12, the lightest shade made, I found it to emphasize the creases in my skin, while looking inconsistent and dry within a couple of hours of applying. Although I stopped using it as my go-to concealer, I wouldn’t mind popping this on in a crunch of time, as I think it’s priced reasonably for the minimal coverage you get. Final rating: 3 stars

Hand Cream

Admittedly, this might seem like a silly product to review out of all of the options from the company’s growing product line–but trust me, hear me out. As someone whose hands quickly dry out from standards soaps and hand sanitizers (both things that are quite unavoidable, especially during a pandemic) just on everyday occasions, it can be challenging to find a soothing lotion that doesn’t irritate my skin. For me, this floral-scented Hand Cream is my holy grail. If you share the same problem, this cute little pink blessing is worth every penny. Final rating: 5 stars

Milky Jelly Cleanser 

Over the years, I’ve purchased Glossier’s primary face wash, the Milky Jelly Cleanser, on and off, meaning that I’ve never felt the need to keep a consistent supply of it on my shelf. However, after recently purchasing a full-size bottle, I’ve found my appreciation for this product again; it’s a cleanser that does well in soothing my red spots and occasional breakouts. As a person that has oily skin in some spots but dry in others, I’d recommend this to someone who’s on any side of the skin type spectrum. Luckily, if you’re still not sure, you can purchase a mini bottle first. Final rating: 4 stars 

Zit Stick

This is, unfortunately, one of the Glossier products that I personally was not impressed with. The Zit Stick serves as a solution to “clear zits at a high speed” that you can apply to your points of irritation up to three times a day, guaranteeing fast results. I’ve followed the instructions and given this product a go on various breakouts, and I hate to say I’ve never seen a noticeable difference, even with the promising ingredients aimed to reduce blemishes and swelling. Not only that, but the packaging tends to get clogged and it can be nearly impossible to get any product out. Everyone’s skin is different, of course, but for me, this was nowhere near a life changer. Final rating: 1 star 

Priming Moisturizer and Priming Moisturizer Rich

Of course, a quality skincare routine includes a quality moisturizer. I bought the Priming Moisturizer first—their lighter product suited for everyday use—but even when I followed the unsaid rule that less is more here, it made my skin feel oily and not refreshed for hours, and that coupled with an off-putting smell discouraged me from finishing the rest of the bottle. Recently, I’ve switched to the Priming Moisturizer Rich, the thicker counterpart Glossier makes, and using a small amount goes a long way to more adequately hydrate my skin. If you’re looking for a new moisturizer (and can handle a light lavender smell), it’s money well-spent. Final ratings: 2 stars and 5 stars 

Hailey Hummel

Washington '23

Hailey was the previous President of HCUW and graduated from the University of Washington in 2023 with a BA in Public Health-Global Health (with departmental honors), and a minor in Law, Societies, and Justice. She loves hiking, traveling, making art, playing piano, taking pictures, and spending time with her friends.