Intimacy and Introspection: Notes on Gracie Abrams’ Debut Album “Good Riddance”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Gracie Abrams’s debut album, titled Good Riddance, came out on February 24th, and I can safely say it’s one of her best projects. As a fan of Gracie Abrams, I was eagerly anticipating the release of Good Riddance, and I must say, it did not disappoint. Filled with hauntingly beautiful songs that are a reflection of love and loss, Gracie’s delicate vocals and intimate lyrics make for a captivating listen. Each track is a raw and honest reflection on the complexities of a relationship and highlights coming to terms with certain feelings and resentments. Read on for my opinions about the album, and my current track ranking based on my initial listen! 

Album Review 

A bit different than her last two EPs – minor (2020) and This Is What It Feels Like (2021), Good Riddance emphasizes Gracie’s reckless nature when it comes to relationships, in comparison to the bittersweet depiction of past personal stories in her other projects. Good Riddance definitely has more ‘alt-pop’ vibes, which I’m totally here for, and the intimacy of the lyrics draws the listener closer to the artist. 

There is so much to say about Gracie’s lyricism, especially the way in which she ‘dials’ into the complexities of her past relationships. The album opens with ‘Best,’ a track that describes Gracie’s realization that she was the problem in her unstable relationship with a past partner: “I never was the best to you.” She goes on to talk about her guilt and mental health in tracks like ‘I know it won’t work’ and ‘Difficult.’ She highlights the painful details of past breakups with ‘Will you cry?’ and compares her relationship to the danger of an earthquake in ‘Fault line.’ As she finally starts to heal her deep wounds, Gracie concludes the album with ‘Right now’: “I feel like myself right now.” Through her delicate vocals and introspective lyrics, she creates a deeply personal and emotionally resonant journey that will leave listeners reflecting on their own experiences with love, loss, and personal growth. 

The production of Good Riddance is notably stripped down, with a focus on Gracie’s vocals and lyrics. The album features a mix of guitar, piano, and gentle percussion, creating a calm and introspective atmosphere that perfectly complements the intimate nature of the lyrics. This minimalist approach to production is similar to Gracie’s past EPs, which also showcase her ability to convey complex emotions through simple instrumentation. The result is a cohesive and mature album that showcases Gracie’s growth as a musician and songwriter. I especially found production similarities between This Is What It Feels Like’s ‘Rockland’ and the Good Riddance track ‘Will you cry?’ – it almost feels as though the latter is a continuation of the fan favorite. 

My Tracklist Ranking 

As I listen to Good Riddance, I am inclined to rank the tracks based on their production quality, lyrical content, and overall mood. My ranking of each track on the album can be found below, though it’s bound to change every day. It was difficult to rank these tracks, and Good Riddance is definitely a no-skip album. 

1. Best
  2. I know it won’t work
  3. Fault line
  4. Will you cry?
  5. Where do we go now?
  6. Full machine
  7. I should hate you 
  8. This is what the drugs are for
  9. Right now
  10. Difficult
  11. The blue
  12. Amelie 

Overall, Gracie Abrams’ debut album is an impressive first outing. Her delicate vocals and intimate lyrics make for a powerful combination, and she proves herself to be a formidable songwriter. Good Riddance is an emotional journey that is sure to resonate with listeners and marks Gracie as a rising star in the world of indie-pop. 

Trushaa Ramanan

Washington '25

Trushaa is currently a sophomore at the University of Washington studying Informatics. She enjoys designing, listening to music, binge watching Netflix shows, and redecorating. She aspires to work as a UX designer and make technology more accessible and impactful for everyone.