Wellness

Incorporating Thanksgiving Traditions into Your Everyday Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Thanksgiving every year reminds me of the ridiculous performances my classmates and I would put on for our teachers and parents, and of course, as little kids, we don’t know how to harmonize with one another or enjoy a task we are forced to do. However, at the end of the performance, I always came home with McDonald’s. Despite how uncomfortable Thanksgiving was growing up, I will always admire its traditions. So don’t get me wrong, I always look forward to baking with one another at family gatherings, watching the Macy’s Thanksgiving parades, and the Friendsgivings I attend. 

You’ll be surprised by the amount of Thanksgiving traditions you could practice in your everyday life! I mean, who wouldn’t want a hint of celebrating a holiday every day?

Alone Time

Every year, when family visits and plans with friends increase since we’re free for school for a couple of days, it can be a bit overwhelming for me. Alone time is a tradition I try to practice before the big day because I need that time to recharge my social battery. This time is extra crucial if I’m in charge of specific tasks or chores to help set up a get-together.

At first, this me-time was scary as someone who overthinks a lot, but slowly I was able to get more comfortable with my own presence. I learned a lot about where my overthinking is rooted from, and what hobbies I can enjoy by myself. I learned much about my personality and how to improve as a sister, daughter, and friend. There are still times when I go back to my old habits. However, my confidence definitely grew from before, and now I can feel more relaxed in gatherings.

If you plan to host a Thanksgiving gathering, I would highly recommend this alone time because it can be stressful and exhausting. Don’t forget that Thanksgiving is meant for you to surround yourself with the people you love! That’s all you need for a perfect celebration. I already applaud you for the fact that you’re hosting or assisting with a Thanksgiving gathering.

Practicing Gratitude

You might have already seen a lot of articles or heard people mention how practicing gratitude is beneficial, because it really is! Sharing what I am thankful for is a tradition in my family before we eat our Thanksgiving meal, but when I was little, I thought the idea was so silly. I just wanted to eat, so I didn’t take it seriously.

Now gratitude is something I always recommend to people and something I try my best to keep up with every day! Expressing what you’re thankful for can be accessible by writing your thoughts down on a sticky note, keeping a gratitude journal, or even creating a gratitude intentions list. What you’re thankful for can be as small as being thankful for the crisp fall air or the invention of deodorant!

I don’t believe this should only be a practice during Thanksgiving. There are so many benefits from this practice, as I mentioned before! For instance, research shows that gratitude helps with mental health, builds a stronger relationship with people, and improves sleep (which I struggle with as a student). If you want to take it to the next level, something I’ve learned recently is to ask yourself this phrase, “I was content with ____, but I was provided with ____.” I would say: I was content with a C as my grade for one of my most challenging classes, but I was provided with a supportive professor who helped me raise my grade higher.

Sharing a Meal

The holidays, especially Thanksgiving, were always about eating with one another and sharing how our year was going, but there shouldn’t always be a particular reason for get-togethers. Any day throughout the year is a great time to invent a family recipe or share a meal together! 

If it doesn’t hurt your wallet, and if there is time for people to gather, why not have a meal together? I personally prefer sharing a meal with my whole family or a group of friends in the middle of the week. This really helps me destress and dump out anything that bothers me. I can be really hard on myself and drown in school work, so the times when I share meals with the people I care about help remind me that I’m still a human who desperately needs and deserves a break. 

However, if you’re like me and are poor and busy, the meal doesn’t need to be expensive. You can still enjoy the get-together with Panda Express or bring your own food to share with people! Even sitting in a Zoom or Discord call with your friends while everyone is eating is still a way to share a meal. Just like spending time alone with yourself, sharing a meal is another great way to rejuvenate.

Emily Luong

Washington '24

Emily is currently at the University of Washington, and she plans on studying English! Emily spends more of her time buying books than actually reading them, but when she's not wasting her money, she is either playing video games, drinking oolong tea, or working on her ceramic skills.