Human-Robot Hybrids in the Next Decade?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Two weeks ago, Google’s “guru of AI and futurism”, Ray Kurzweil, shocked the world with his assertion that in just a decade or two, humans will undergo the “next step” of our evolutionary process: internal implementation of technology.

Kurzweil’s belief is that the merging of man and machine will not actually compromise the integrity of the human body, but rather augment it by the insertion of a computer chip inside the neocortex. The neocortex is the part of the brain believed to be responsible for sensory perception, motor commands, spatial reasoning, conscious thought, and language. According to Kurzweil, “medical robots will go inside our brain and connect our neocortex to the smart cloud” by 2029, thus giving the human race access to the vast knowledge of the Internet without the press of a single button. Instead of having to carry around the latest iPhone in order to call home or search up the nearest Chinese restaurant, one will have all the device’s functions available to them at all times, activated by a mere thought.

Although this prediction may seem far-fetched, Kurzweil’s track record speaks for itself. Since the ‘90s, this author, inventor, and futurist has gone on to make hundreds of predictions about the future of technology, and astoundingly, over 90% of them have been correct. Hence, the idea that the children of Generation Z will be neurologically connected to the internet by the time they’re in their late 20s to 30s is really quite possible.

This internal implantation of technology obviously has its pros—a more efficient workforce at the forefront—but it also has its limitations: Is the implantation ethical? How will this affect the education system? Who will be able to afford the chip and procedure?

In order to test this product and procedure, one must have willing test subjects. However, these test subjects, I assume, would most likely be young children, as their brains are still developing and are far more capable of adapting to a foreign intrusion than the brains of adults and the elderly are. But who would be willing to let their child undergo such an invasive procedure?

In addition, what would happen to the current educational system? If children gained access to the smart cloud neurologically, then what would stop them from cheating on assessments? Moreover, what would even be taught at school if every child already has the internet and its wealth of information inside their heads?

Lastly, who would be able to afford such high technology? Only the upper echelons of society would be able to cover the costs of the chip and the surgery, hence giving already privileged children an even greater advantage over their less wealthy peers. Consequently, this would only further fuel the ever-prevalent class struggle in the U.S.

Kurzweil’s predictions for the merging of man and machine may become reality in the next decade or so, signaling the beginning of a new era of human-robot hybrids. Thus, it is imperative that those at the forefront of research and leadership step forward and address the possible issues that might arise due to these advancements. Then and only then can a bright path be paved for the future of humanity and technology.