How to Make the Perfect Cup of Hot Cocoa for Snow Days

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As soon as the temperature drops below forty, you can find me curled up with a cozy blanket on my couch lounging in front of the T.V. (probably binge watching some terrible but addicting shows) as I hide from bone-chilling weather with a cup of hot cocoa in my hand. This recipe below, for a mug of hot cocoa for one, was something I came across many years ago and tailored to what I think is true chocolaty perfection. It’s so easy to make and definitely hits the spot every time, which makes it addictive in the winter, so proceed with caution—and enjoy!

The Perfect Cup of Hot Cocoa for One (because you won’t want to share)

Serving size – 1

Ingredients:

1 heaping teaspoon of Hershey’s Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (or any unsweetened cocoa powder)

2 heaping teaspoons of sugar

2 teaspoons + enough to fill a mug of milk

Dash of salt (optional, but recommended)

Mini or large marshmallows (optional-but in my opinion, pretty necessary)

​

Directions:

In a mug/cup that is microwaveable, combine together the unsweetened cocoa powder, sugar, and salt. Once combined into one mix, pour in the 2 teaspoons of milk, then stir. Once all of the ingredients are fully mixed, pour in more milk until it fills the mug, pour in less milk for a richer taste and more for thinner taste. Afterward, simply microwave the mug for approx. 1-1 1/2 minutes. Then, if desired, add any size marshmallows. Let it cool for a minute or two and then enjoy with your favorite cozy movie.

Avrelle Harrington

Washington '22

Hi! I'm Avrelle and I am a freshman at the University of Washington. I am currently studying Communications here at UW but I am interested in doing journalism. I love to write, travel, ski, do yoga, and run!