This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

As finals loom in not-so-distant future, it’s fair to say that the promise of winter break is one of the only things getting us through. With only a few weeks of rest and relaxation before we’re back to the grind in the new year, you have to make the most of it while it lasts—here’s our advice. 

Make a list of people you NEED to see and catch up with.

​​You only have about 2-3 weeks during your break. And if you have a number of people back home you’ve been dying to catch up with, you don’t want to forget any of them. Therefore, make a list! Try to see as many people as you can, since who knows if you’ll be able to see them during your single week of spring break (if you even go home then)? I would suggest hitting up people ahead of time, about 2-3 days before you plan to hang out with them. Again, you have a limited time to see people so it’s best to be proactive and make the most out of your days. 

Visit places that you normally can’t when you’re in school.

Whether your home is near or far from school, chances are, college life is super busy for you and you don’t have as much time as you did before college. There’s restaurants you haven’t eaten at in a while, shops you haven’t gone to with friends for months, and so much more. Therefore, make sure to go to them over break! Food from your childhood to the restaurants you’d hit up with your friends after football games not only bring nostalgia of your childhood but also makes you appreciate the environment you grew up with. All you California students, make sure to pick up some In-N-Out before you head back from winter break.

If you have homework, divide up a little to do everyday.

This is obviously easier said than done—this requires discipline and motivation. If you’re assigned homework over break, don’t kill yourself and save it all til the last possible day before school starts. Pulling an all nighter to start off the new quarter is NOT the way to go—it will set you down the wrong path already. Try to do homework a little everyday in the morning before you go out and have fun. It can be your reward for doing your homework—going out and having fun after you finish your goal.

Spend as much time as you can with your family.

Though you’re probably as excited to see all your friends back home, please don’t forget about the people who allowed you to go to college and give you a home. Spend time with friends, but also make sure to spend even more time with your family. Do little things too with them – whether it be running errands with your mom, or doing dishes with your dad. It’s the little things that make your parents happy, and remind you of all the times you were there back home with them. And don’t forget to tell them that you love them!

Alyssa is from Southern California and has family in Hawaii. When she's not eating, studying, or volunteering, she is watching horror movies or baking.