This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Getting sick during college is the worst. Midterm season is here and staying healthy throughout the next couple of weeks is crucial! I’ve taken my fair share of midterms while feeling under the weather, and they were miserable to say the least. Since then, I’ve picked up a few tricks to help keep the germs away. Here’s some things I incorporate into my daily routine to stay healthy during midterm season, and every season:

Vitamin C

Vitamin C is widely known to prevent and decrease cold symptoms by boosting the body’s immune system. Some ways I incorporate vitamin C into my diet are by eating cuties, strawberries, spinach, and other fruits and vegetables. During midterm season, I usually drink a packet of Emergen-C every day to make sure I’m getting in my recommended daily vitamin C intake.

Hydrate

Staying hydrated is always important. Fluid loss is a consequence of congestion, and fevers can lead to an even greater loss of electrolytes and fluids due to increased sweating and moisture loss. That means you should drink even more water than you usually do when you’re sick! Some studies have also shown that staying hydrated can boost your body’s immune response toward new viruses. 

Wellness shots

These mini juice shots with lemon juice, ginger, and cayenne seriously cure my stomach aches and stuffy noses! Lemon juice contains vitamin C, ginger alleviates nausea, and cayenne can help with symptoms like congestion and cough. I either get them from Pressed Juicery in Westlake or at Juice Press in University Village. You can also make them at home by blending 2 juiced lemons, 1-2 tbsp chopped ginger, and ¼ tsp cayenne powder.  

Hot tea

Hot tea is my favorite remedy for a sore throat. All hot teas are great, but when I’m sick, I like to drink teas that contain a lot of vitamin C like honey lemon tea or the Defense Wellness tea from Starbucks.   

Essential oils

Not only are essential oils calming, but certain scents can open up your sinuses. When I’m congested, I use essential oils in my diffuser like peppermint, eucalyptus, lavender, and lemon.  

Give yourself a break

Increased stress can suppress the immune system, making it easier for you to get sick. Destress during study breaks by hanging out with friends, watching movies, and more (the possibilities are endless)! Never feel guilty about giving yourself a break or two, especially when you deserve it.

Of course, these are just things that work for me. Everyone is different, so feel free to try some of these tips and choose what works for you. I hope everyone stays healthy and slays their midterms!

Kara Fong

Washington '22

Hi I’m Kara! I'm a junior studying Biochemistry and Economics. I like desserts, long car rides, and movies :')