andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel 7crB2ccrmPo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

How to Hit Refresh for a New Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

When starting a new relationship, there are a couple things you need to do in order to make sure that your new relationship flourishes and has a fresh start from your past. It can be scary to put yourself back out there, especially if your last relationship ended badly, so keep these points in mind to make sure you’re practicing self-love while pursuing love with someone else. 

Don’t Compare 

One thing you should always remember when dating someone new is that whatever happened in your last relationship won’t necessarily happen in your next. No two people are the same so don’t compare your ex with your new partner. That comparison will only bring tension into the relationship and create a barrier of distrust. For example, if your ex cheated on you and you carry on the mentality that all men/women are the same and they all are cheaters then your relationship is already off to a bad start. Everyone deserves a blank page to start their story. 

Don’t Rush Things Mentally

I personally believe that there is no time limit to determine how long it should take for you to get over your ex or a deadline to start dating again because everyone is different. What I do believe though is that you have to be mentally capable to being there for yourself and another person mentally. What I mean by this is that after being hurt it’s easy to struggle with mental health issues such as anxiety and depression. Take care of yourself first, learn to love yourself first mentally and physically—just like putting on your own oxygen mask before someone else’s in those airplane safety demonstrations. The right person will understand to be patient with you and will be there to help and support you. 

Love Yourself

As mentioned in the previous point, you need to learn to love and appreciate yourself first. Think of it as putting the pieces together and making yourself whole. In order to having a good relationship it shouldn’t be two halves making a whole but two wholes coming together. Neither of you two should feel totally incomplete—be a power couple that brings out the best in each other! Know your worth and strive to be the best you possible. Be the person you always wanted to be, the person you wish your kids or younger siblings could look up to. 

Hello my name is Citlalli Rodriguez- Garcilazo, I am a current sophomore pursuing a career in Marketing. I am a young adventurous soul who loves to go out and explore the beautiful city of Seattle, I love to meet new people and I have a great passion for music.