This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

2020 is finally here, and that means we can expect a ton of highly anticipated movies to be released in the coming months. Of course, there are the dreaded January movies (sorry Dolittle); there are films that we’ve been waiting years for, like the next James Bond film No Time to Die (its predecessor Spectre was released in 2015). More sequels and remakes are hitting the theaters – Bad Boys for Life, Bill and Ted Face the Music, Top Gun: Maverick, Ghostbusters: Afterlife, Mulan – the list goes on. Our favorite directors are releasing new projects (welcome back, Pete Docter, Christopher Nolan, Edgar Wright, Wes Anderson, and Sofia Coppola!). Finally, there are plenty of acclaimed international features that have yet to release in the US. Here is a (by no means comprehensive) list of films that I can’t wait to see this year!

1. Birds of Prey (Feb 7)

Directed by: Cathy Yan

Starring: Margot Robbie, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jurnee Smollett-Ball, Rosie Perez

Last time we saw Harley Quinn, she was lounging around in prison to “You Don’t Own Me” in David Ayer’s Suicide Squad. Since then, Harley has broken up with the Joker (Jared Leto reportedly did the same) and has joined forces with Black Canary (Smollett-Bell), Helena Bertinelli/Huntress (Winstead), and Renee Montoya (Perez) to protect a young girl from a crime lord known as Black Mask, played by Ewan McGregor.

This R-rated romp has a similar premise to the well-received Harley Quinn show, which tidily separated the titular character from her Joker origins and allowed her to become a more well-rounded character. The film is directed by Cathy Yan, making her the first Asian director to direct a superhero film.

2. Portrait of a Lady on Fire (Feb 14)

Directed by: Celine Sciamma

Starring: Noémie Merlant, Adèle Haenel

The film tells the story of a painter named Marianne (Merlant), who is hired to paint a portrait of Héloïse (Haenel), an aristocrat and reluctant bride-to-be. However, as Héloïse refuses to sit for the portrait, Marianne must do her job secretly – painting Héloïse from memory at night and studying her subject during their time together under the guise of a hired companionship. As the two continue to influence and learn from each other, their relationship grows more intense and intimate.

According to critics, the film is impeccably well-acted with a strong feminist angle. Additionally, it is a visual masterpiece – one reviewer states: “Each frame feels like it belongs in The Louvre, hanging alongside the great artists. Few cinematographers capture so much emotion and artistic merit within a single shot.”

This French historical drama was theatrically released last September in France and had a limited release premiere in December in the United States, to be followed by a wide release on February 14th.

3. Onward (Mar 6)

Directed by: Dan Scanlon

Starring: Tom Holland, Chris Pratt, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Octavia Spencer

Spider-Man and Star-Lord – sorry, Tom Holland and Chris Pratt – are teaming up to voice the brothers Ian and Barley Lightfoot, who also happen to be elves living in an urban fantastical society that is slowly losing its sense of magic. The two embark on a quest to bring back their father, who died before Ian was born, and has been partially reanimated as a pair of legs by a wizard’s staff. I know – it sounds strange, but you know Pixar is going to take the premise to new emotional and thematic heights. Other characters include Ian and Barley’s mother, Laurel (voiced by Julia Louis-Dreyfus) and Corey (Octavia Spencer), a manticore who helps the brothers on their quest.

Onward is directed by Dan Scanlon, and the film is inspired by his own father’s death when he and his brother were younger. He also previously directed Pixar’s Monsters University (2013).

4. A Quiet Place Part II (Mar 20)

Directed by: John Krasinski

Starring: Emily Blunt, Millicent Simmonds, Noah Jupe

Following the events of the breakout horror film A Quiet Place, Part II follows Evelyn Abbott and her children as they face the apocalyptic outside world and fight for their survival in silence. As we can see from the trailer, the family soon runs into another survivor (Cillian Murphy), who warns her that “the people who are left are not the kind of people worth saving”. The trailer also features flashbacks to the first day of the extraterrestrial invasion, which may hint at another threat lurking beyond the sand path.

John Krasinski returns to direct Part II, though we are unsure if he’ll actually show up in the movie as Lee Abbott (perhaps in the flashback?).

5. Mulan (Mar 27)

Directed by: Niki Caro

Starring: Liu Yifei, Donnie Yen, Jason Scott Lee, Yoson An

Disney’s live-action adaptation of Mulan (both the 1998 animated film and the Hua Mulan from Chinese folklore) takes another crack at the “remake” formula. This time, filmmakers have decided to step away from the traditional Disney musical by cutting out all the musical numbers – instead opting for instrumental versions – and removing Mushu. Also, there’s a witch in the movie. At the same time, the differences from the animated film seems to be aimed at honoring the original Ballad of Mulan, as well as ancient Chinese customs and culture. I’m eager to see how Disney will incorporate Mulan’s themes of bravery, sacrifice, and humility into the adaptation.

The new version features Liu Yifei as the titular character, and a big-name cast: Donnie Yen, Jason Scott Lee, Jet Li, Gong Li, and more.

6. No Time to Die (Apr 10)

Directed by: Cary Joji Fukunaga

Starring: Daniel Craig, Rami Malek, Léa Seydoux, Lashana Lynch, Ben Whishaw, Naomie Harris, Jeffrey Wright, Christoph Waltz, Ralph Fiennes

(Ok, I know I just listed way too many actors/actresses – whatever.)

Daniel Craig is starring in his fifth and final* outing as Bond, James Bond (at this point, we’re not even sure if he’s still 007). Rami Malek plays Safin, the disfigured-Bond-villain of the film. In addition, Christoph Waltz returns as Blofeld, who is now in MI6 custody after the events of Spectre. Other returning faces include Ben Whishaw as Q, Naomie Harris as Eve Moneypenny, Jeffrey Wright as Felix Leiter, Ralph Fiennes as M, and of course Léa Seydoux as Dr. Madeleine Swann, who we were introduced to in Spectre.

In this film, Bond has left active service since the events of Spectre. However, when he is asked to rescue a kidnapped scientist by Felix Leiter, Bond finds himself on “the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology”.

Other cool tidbits that I wanted to mention: 1) Phoebe Waller-Bridge of Fleabag fame contributed to script, so I’m definitely expecting some fourth wall breaks. 2) Billie Eilish is recording the theme song to the film! Previous artists include Sam Smith, Adele, Alicia Keys, and Chris Cornell. 3) The director, Cary Joji Fukunaga, also directed the acclaimed first season of True Detective and Beasts of No Nation.

* Note: Craig also said Skyfall, then Spectre, was his last time playing the character, so who knows what the future holds?  

7. Black Widow (May 1)

Directed by: Cate Shortland

Starring: Scarlett Johansson, Florence Pugh, David Harbour, O-T Fagbenle, William Hurt, Rachel Weisz

Finally, Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow is receiving her own solo film. We’ve only been waiting since, what, 2010? The film is set after the events of Captain America: Civil War, where Natasha has to confront her past by returning to her old “family” – assassins and super soldiers all trained in the “Red Room”.

From the trailer, we are introduced to Natasha’s “sister” (played by Florence Pugh, who may or may not become the next Black Widow), another seasoned Black Widow assassin played by Rachel Weisz, and David Harbour as the Red Guardian, a soldier created as a Russian counterpart to Captain America. But we’re not completely removed from America – O-T Fagbenle plays an ally from S.H.I.E.L.D., and William Hurt returns as General “Thunderbolt” Ross. Finally, the Taskmaster will appear as the villain in the film (I won’t reveal what the character can do, but I assure you – it’s cool).

After a paltry look into her past in Avengers: Age of Ultron, I’m excited to see how the filmmakers and cast will develop her character past the one-note shady, former KGB assassin. Alexandre Desplat composes his first MCU score. Cate Shortland (Berlin Syndrome, Lore) directs the film.

8. The Personal History of David Copperfield (May 8)

Directed by: Armando Iannucci

Starring: Dev Patel, Aneurin Barnard, Peter Capaldi, Hugh Laurie, Tilda Swinton

No – this is not about David Copperfield the magician. The Personal History of David Copperfield adapts the 1850 novel by Charles Dickens, and follows the life of the enterprising character played by Dev Patel, from adolescence to adulthood. As he sets out on his own adventures, David meets numerous friends and enemies that help him grow and mature.

The cast is amazing – Aneurin Barnard as James Steerforth, Tilda Swinton as Betsey Trotwood, Hugh Laurie as Mr. Dick, Peter Capaldi as Mr. Micawber, Ben Whishaw as Uriah Heep, Benedict Wong, Gwendoline Christie, and more!

The film is written and directed by Armando Iannucci (The Death of Stalin, Veep), bringing a lighthearted, modern take on the novel to our movie screens. The film premiered last year at TIFF and has already won numerous awards for casting, screenplay, and production design.

9. Wonder Woman 1984 (Jun 5)

Directed by: Patty Jenkins

Starring: Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, Pedro Pascal

Gal Gadot returns as Diana Prince in a follow-up to the massively successful Wonder Woman. And now, it’s 1984 – so get ready for some familiar, feel-good 80’s tunes. Before you keep reading, watch the trailer. Then watch it again. And a few more times.

Astonishingly, Steve Trevor (played by Chris Pine) has returned – possibly due to a magical rock crystal that Pedro Pascal is holding during the trailer. Pascal plays Maxwell Lord, a corporate titan and entrepreneur famous for infomercials. Meanwhile, Diana is befriended by Barbara Ann Minerva (Kristin Wiig) and still hasn’t gotten over Steve. Steve apparently takes Diana’s place as the fish-out-of-water in the story, as Diana has acclimated to humanity over the years (“no Steve, that’s just a trash can”). The trailer promises even more amazing action, including Wonder Woman swinging from lightning, fighting in a very 80’s mall, smashing bullets, etc. Patty Jenkins returns to direct, and Hans Zimmer takes over from Rupert Gregson-Williams to compose the score.

10. Soul (Jun 19)

Directed by: Pete Docter

Starring: Jamie Foxx, Tina Fey, Questlove, Phylicia Rashad, Daveed Diggs

“What would you want to be known for on Earth? We only have a short time on this planet – you wanna become the person you were born to be? Don’t waste your time on all the junk of life. Spend your precious hours doing what will bring out the real you: the brilliant, passionate you that’s ready to contribute something meaningful into this world.” Well, I just got inspired by the first 30 seconds of this trailer.

As usual, Pixar tries to answer the deepest question in the most fun, unique way they can. This time, the film explores what it means to have a soul, as well as the meaning of life itself. We follow Joe Gardner (voiced by Jamie Foxx), a middle school music teacher who has a passion for playing jazz. After an accident, Joe is transported to a mystical place where his soul is the only thing left of himself. He meets a fellow soul (voiced by Tina Fey), who doesn’t seem to have much to live for anymore. Will Joe be able to get back to reality in time?

As someone who’s gotten slightly tired of the animated sequels, I’m delighted that Pixar is back on a run of original films. Pete Docter (Monsters, Inc., Up, Inside Out) is back and I couldn’t be more glad. Additionally, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross composed the score, and Jon Batiste will be writing the jazz songs (!!) for the film. Soul is also the first Pixar film to feature an African American protagonist.

11. The French Dispatch (??)

Directed by: Wes Anderson

Starring: Frances McDormand, Bill Murray, Timothée Chalamet, Jeffrey Wright, Christoph Waltz

This film marks Wes Anderson’s 10th feature film to date, and features one of his most star-studded casts. In addition to the names above, expect to see Benicio del Toro, Léa Seydoux, Tilda Swinton, Saoirse Ronan, Kate Winslet, Elisabeth Moss, Willem Dafoe, Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, Jason Schwartzman, Henry Winkler, and more in undisclosed roles. Wow.

We don’t know a lot about this movie – described by Anderson as a “love letter to journalists set at an outpost of an American newspaper in 20th Century Paris”, the story focuses on a journalist based in France “who fights to write about what he wants to write”.

Many of Anderson’s past collaborators are returning – many actors and actresses (Frances McDormand, Tilda Swinton, Adrien Brody), cinematographer Robert Yeoman (serving as the cinematographer on all of his films), composer Alexandre Desplat (The Grand Budapest Hotel, Isle of Dogs), and editor Andrew Weisblum (The Darjeeling Limited, Moonrise Kingdom).

Fox Searchlight recently acquired the rights for the film, and it has been scheduled for release sometime in 2020.

12. Tenet (Jul 17)

Directed by: Christopher Nolan

Starring: John David Washington, Robert Pattinson, Elizabeth Debicki, Dimple Kapadia, Michael Caine, Kenneth Branagh

The long-awaited return of Christopher Nolan certainly has not disappointed his fans. The famed director’s newest film recently released its first trailer, and hints at a return to sci-fi and time-travel dynamics after 2017’s war film Dunkirk. The film centers around a secret agent, played by John David Washington, trying to prevent World War III which, according to the trailer, could be worse than nuclear holocaust. He is given one word: “tenet”. Don’t worry, it’s just another word that will gain a completely new meaning after Nolan is done with it (looking at you, Inception). So, the whole palindrome motif we see in the trailer will come into play with time travel at some point, right? Also, John David Washington’s character died, but is alive, too?

We’ll most likely have to wait for another trailer in order to learn more about the plot, but for now we can get excited because Ludwig Göransson is composing the score this time around instead of Hans Zimmer, Nolan’s long-time collaborator.

13. Death on the Nile (Oct 9)

Directed by: Kenneth Branagh

Starring: Kenneth Branagh, Tom Bateman, Annette Bening, Gal Gadot, Armie Hammer, Letitia Wright

Yay, another Poirot film! This time around, director and star Kenneth Branagh adapts the 1937 Agatha Christie novel of the same name. Detective Hercule Poirot, while on holiday in Egypt, must find the killer after becoming involved in a love triangle gone wrong. The mystery film introduces a new cast of characters (or suspects), including big-name stars like Annette Bening, Gal Gadot, and Letitia Wright.

14. The Eternals (Nov 6)

Directed by: Chloé Zhao

Starring: Angelina Jolie, Richard Madden, Kumail Nanjiani, Lauren Ridloff, Brian Tyree Henry

Marvel’s Phase Four officially kicks off with a large cast of stars, almost all of whom are new to the MCU. The Eternals, originating from the Jack Kirby comic, are an immortal alien race who have lived on Earth for 7000 years, unbeknownst to humans. However, they must join together to protect the Earth from their enemies, the Deviants. Honestly, no one knows what to expect from this film yet – we’ll have to wait to get more details. Chloé Zhao (The Rider) directs.

15. Dune (Dec 18)

Directed by: Denis Villeneuve

Starring: Timothée Chalamet, Rebecca Ferguson, Oscar Isaac, Josh Brolin, Stellan Skarsgård, Dave Bautista, Zendaya

It’s now Denis Villeneuve’s turn to adapt Frank Herbert’s best-selling 1965 science-fiction novel. Villeneuve has accrued an impressive cast to help him out (see above) AND Hans Zimmer to compose the score. I did not read the book(s), so here is what I found out about the premise from Wikipedia:

“In the far future of humanity, Duke Leto Atreides accepts stewardship of the dangerous desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the most valuable substance in the universe, “the spice”, a drug which extends human life, provides superhuman levels of thought, and makes foldspace travel possible. Though Leto knows the opportunity is an intricate trap set by his enemies, the Harkonnens, he takes his Bene Gesserit concubine Lady Jessica, young son and heir Paul, and most trusted advisers to Arrakis, also known as Dune. Leto takes control of the spice mining operation, which is made perilous by the presence of giant sandworms. A bitter betrayal leads Paul and Jessica to the Fremen, natives of Arrakis who live in the deep desert.”

Wait, “spice” drugs? Harkonnens?? Foldspace??? They had me at giant sandworms.

16. (not) Avatar 2

Dear James Cameron,

It’s been over ten years since Avatar. You said the sequel was going to be released in 2014. Then it turned into three sequels. Then it became its own theme park. And somehow, I still can’t wait for Avatar 2 to come out next year.

Sincerely, a kid who was in elementary school when Avatar was released.

Kerri Lee

Washington '22

Kerri is a senior studying Computer Science. When not writing for Her Campus, she can either be found watching TV or asleep (there's no in-between).