This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

TW// sexism, sexual harassment, talk of appearance and body image

Advertisements make obscene profits from the exploitation of women’s bodies. It’s no secret that women have always been, and continue to be, sexualized in the media. While we would like to think we have made a great deal of progress in gender equality, much of the same sexist themes that have been prevalent throughout history are either just as prevalent or even more so today.

Miss Representation, a 2011 documentary, explores the harm that media consumption can do to women and girls’ psyches. Studies have found that girls who are taught that their appearance is their only asset are very unlikely to strive for leadership positions and have decreased political efficacy (Miss Representation, 2011). When they believe their value lies in their bodies, they are left disempowered

Many women have internalized misogyny which deters them from voting for fellow women in politics. It is not uncommon to witness women justify their voting choices by expressing that men are more competent leaders than women, women are too emotional to be in charge, etc. Thus, the stereotyping of women is not unique to cis men. The fact of the matter is, women have valuable insight when it comes to political decisions, and their input is desperately needed within government. Bills that protect marginalized groups, improve safety of neighborhoods, and decrease community violence have been proposed and/or passed by women. If women are discouraged from pursuing leadership roles, everyone is left disadvantaged as a result of the absence of their much-needed perspective.

The objectification of women is a worldwide phenomenon. However, it is much more bleak to be a woman in the U.S. than most other industrialized countries. For example, 67 countries have had female leaders/presidents/prime ministers, yet the U.S. is not one of them (Miss Representation, 2011). The U.S. is 90th in the world in regards to women in national legislature! And, as we all know, the American gender pay gap is still alive and well, as women make 83 cents to every man’s dollar (6 cents more than in 2011).

Girls learn from an early age that their value lies in their body (how conventionally attractive they are, how much appearance-based attention they receive from men, and how much “prettier” they are than their peers). Most girls are given compliments based on their appearance, rather than how smart, funny, or kind they are. From an early age, they receive the message loud and clear that their worth lies in attractiveness and being someone’s armpiece. Self-objectification is considered by some to be a national epidemic among young women.

……….

Furthermore, boys are taught from an early age that everything associated with femininity is bad. An important film, The Mask You Live In, explores the many struggles that young boys and men face as they grow up in a society that maintains such a narrow definition of masculinity.

While they are young, boys are taught by their fathers and/or peers at school that they must be “tough,” “manly,” and that “you play ball like a girl” is the ultimate insult. These boys typically grow up to be men who don’t know how to form close friendships, express their emotions, or respect women. They are emotionally constipated: suffering in a society that suffocated them with the pressure to be masculine.

In order for men to be emotionally literate and empathetic members of society, they must be allowed the privilege to express their emotions and have the opportunity to see more women in positions of leadership while they’re growing up, as opposed to sexually exploited women in the media.

At the root of much of this division is the pressure to conform to either binary gender and to not do things characteristic of the opposite gender from which you identify. Who’s to say what constitutes “femininity” and “masculinity”? If we all focused on unity, rather than division into two opposite genders and maintaining strict gender roles, there would likely be less violence toward women and less depression among men. Girls and boys do not need separate toys, haircuts, colors, TV shows, and clothes; but instead need a sense of value in their abilities/talents/skills and a space where they feel safe to express their emotions. Our society fails people of all identities and it’s sad to see the lifelong impacts this has on people.

This is something that needs to be talked about more, and I hope our generation and generations to come will help change the status quo. It is an important conversation we need to be having! The truth is, objectification and misrepresentation of women in media perpetuates outdated gender roles.

Mercy Johnson

Washington '23

Mercy is a fourth-year physiology major at the University of Washington who hopes to become a physician someday. She enjoys journalism, ethics, and anthropology courses. In her spare time, she loves to hike, play piano, and read. She is also a devoted coffee connoisseur!