Four Things To Be Thankful for This Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Thanksgiving is a time for people to come together. As Thanksgiving nears, many people begin to reflect on what they have in their lives that they are grateful for. My family always goes around the table to share what we’re thankful for. Whether you share what you’re thankful for around the dinner table or not, it’s always good to think of the little things that you are most appreciative of. Even though this year has had its ups and downs, there are still many things that we can be thankful for this Thanksgiving. 

1. Thanksgiving Plans

One thing to be thankful for is having Thanksgiving! Most Thanksgiving plans were cancelled last year because of the pandemic, so this will likely be the first holiday gathering people have had in nearly two years. This year may look very different from past Thanksgiving celebrations, but we can all be thankful that we have the option of making plans for the holiday.

2. Food

Us college students LOVE food! The opportunity for a home cooked meal at Thanksgiving is an opportunity that I am very much looking forward to. At school, most of us eat the same thing over and over, whether in the dining hall or takeout from restaurants nearby. Being able to have nostalgic food with family is the perfect thing to be thankful for over the holidays.

3. School

After over a year of online learning, having the opportunity to come back to campus and have in person college experiences is definitely something to be thankful for. It’s nice to have in person classes, go to games, and meet our fellow classmates. Despite the many benefits of a more normal school year, returning to in person learning has not been easy for everyone. For those of us feeling burnt out from school, we can be thankful that we are finally getting a break for Thanksgiving, and we have winter break to look forward to so we can recharge and be ready to learn next quarter.

4. Friends and Family

Our friends and family have been through it all with us. They are there for our best and our worst moments, and we can count on them for anything. Thanksgiving is the perfect time to reflect on how great the people in our lives are and show them how much we care and how thankful we are for them. 

These are just a few things to be thankful for this Thanksgiving! There are so many things to be grateful for this year and every year. Spend time with the people you care about and enjoy your holiday!

Nicole Green

Washington '25

Nicole Green is a junior at the University of Washington studying Public Health - Global Health with the goal of attending medical school in the future. She balances her academics with time for herself by cooking, baking, hiking, traveling, playing volleyball at the IMA, and spending time with friends and family. Outside of school, Nicole has been a member of Her Campus since her freshman year, and this is her second year as Contributing Editor. She also works for a research study on campus, is involved in Dance Marathon, volunteers at Seattle Children’s Hospital, and is involved in the Greek Community. Check out her articles to see how she balances all of her involvements and why she has loved her time at UW so far!