Travel Friends Sunset Roadtrip Jeep Adventure Nature
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus
Life > Experiences

Five Things to Look Forward to this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

After spending so many months at college, it can be a bit daunting to return back to your hometown lifestyle. I know I will miss so many wonderful things here in Seattle as I return home to Connecticut. It’s a weird feeling to know that I won’t be back to the west coast for three whole months. So to put a more positive twist on going home, here are five things that are making me more excited for this summer!

1. Reading OUTSIDE

I absolutely love reading, especially outside in nice weather. My book reading list has been building this year, so I can’t wait to start getting through it. One of my favorite parts of my summer mornings is sitting outside on my lounge chair and reading a new book. This summer the book I am most excited to start reading is Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid.

2. Going to the beach

I don’t think there is anything better than swimming all day in the ocean. The nap you take on a towel in the sand is unmatched by any other sleep. The ocean just brings a peace that is indescribable. The beach nearest to my town, Compo Beach, is pretty during the day and has great sunsets at night.

3. Seeing Hometown Friends and Family

After spending all year with my college friends, it will be so nice to be able to spend quality time with my parents and brother. I’m also so excited to reunite with all my high school friends and be able to make some really good memories with them. Only having these three main months in the summer to spend time with them, makes the time spent extra special. I can’t wait to do all our favorite traditions like late night Dairy Queen runs, outdoor movie marathons, and bonfires.

4. Getting to see your pets

One of the things I miss most while I am at college are my cats. They are the two things I wish could have lived with me in my dorm room this past year. The comfort of just having my pets around automatically makes me feel less stressed. I am especially looking forward to taking naps on my bed while my cat sleeps next to me on her favorite blanket. 

5. Driving

Since I don’t have my car at college, the only time I get to drive is when I’m at home. Driving has always been something I love doing. I always have all my friends pile into my car and we drive absolutely anywhere and everywhere. I blast my favorite songs, roll down all the windows, and we just sing as loud as we can. I can’t wait for those warm summer days when I can do this again.

Summer is a time to relax, rest, and reconnect with friends and family at home. Although it will be sad to be away from campus and all my college friends, I will cherish my time back at home. Before I know it, I’ll be back on a plane to Seattle to start my sophomore year!

Elizabeth Williams

Washington '25

Elizabeth Williams is one of the Campus Correspondents for University of Washington’s Her Campus chapter. As a freshman she was a Writer, followed by being a Corresponding Editor for a year. In her hometown of Wilton, Connecticut she developed her love of writing in high school. Now as a junior at the University of Washington, she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Psychology. Through her journalism classes she has covered a variety of topics about the environment, social media, and on-campus events. For Her Campus, she mainly writes about music, fashion, and college advice. She also just recently returned to campus from studying abroad in London! In her free time she loves reading (she read 25 books last year), doing hot yoga, and spending time with her roommates. If she’s not writing you can probably find her getting coffee or at a concert, most likely at Harry Styles’ Love on Tour or at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour. If you have read some of her articles, you can probably tell that her greatest achievements are getting tickets to concerts (a certified skill) and predicting the outcome of reality tv shows.