This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

We’re all in Zoom University now.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m not an online school person. I did terribly in all my online highschool classes, and I decided to go to a university for the specific purpose that I wouldn’t have to take classes online. I hate them! I can’t focus, I can’t ask the questions I really need to, and I can’t talk to any of my friends, or even have the opportunity to make news ones. It’s just me and my laptop.

With this newfound solitude, however, come its teeny, tiny perks. Like how with nothing to do but class, I have been listening to a lot more music – a lot more. Music is a really big motivator for me, so finding some tunes that really get me going always makes my productivity so much better. There maay be a lot more singing and dancing breaks, but hey, might as well have fun!

So, I decided to make a list of the songs I currently can’t get enough of. 

“Soaked” by BENEE

I’m sure by now we’ve all heard BENEE’s hit song “Supa Lonely” all over TikTok, or even the radio. Her song, “Soaked,” though, is also really freaking good. It’s got a really chill beat that you can just sink into your bed and read to. 

“Red Desert” by 5 Seconds of Summer

Okay, so 5SOS has consistently come out with bangers in the past years, but this song, the first on their newly released album, CALM, is absolutely astonishing. The harmonies are beautiful, the lyrics meaningful and the melody is one that is guaranteed to get stuck in your head. 

“Atoms” by ABRA

I remember hearing this song playing in a grocery store about a month ago and I just absolutely had to find out what it was. It’s not the usual thing you hear on the radio, but that’s what makes it so good. A groovy beat and a vocalist with a really unique tone, this song always makes me do a little dance in my seat when I’m doing math.

“Casino” by Ryan Beatty

Okay. I love this song SO MUCH. This is a much more mellow tune than the rest of the songs, with a touch of melancholy. This is the song I imagine for cozying up in a blanket and reading a novel. I just really love the melody of this song, and the lyrics too.

“A kiss” by The Driver Era

Ross Lynch has my heart, okay? I love his band with his brother, The Driver Era, because I feel like they bring a lot of aspects of old music and turn it into something completely new, which is the exact vibe I got from this song as well. A newer single of their’s, this song makes me want to put on red lipstick and have a fun night out with my girlfriends; but unfortunately, it’s quarantine time, so I just dance to the beat of this absolute banger in the middle of my room.

Happy spring quarter, everyone! In the middle of everything going on and the absolute drag that are online lectures, I hope a few of these songs pump you up just a little more for the day!

Elizabeth Mugho

Washington '23

I'm a freshman at the University of Washington, with a passion for writing.