This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

We are the number one publicly funded research institution in the country.  The University of Washington gets approximately $1.62 billion each year from the federal government and somehow I have no idea where to find research opportunities on campus.  Or, even who to email.

In my fall quarter FIG, I was introduced to the undergraduate research database.  After seemingly months and months of reloading this page, I have not found any stand-out positions that are of interest to me.  

Regardless, I have spent this entire week finishing my curriculum vitae (CV) and surfing the internet for potential UW labs, which are surprisingly difficult to find at such a research-dominant school.  If you are on the hunt for a potential lab in your desired field, I would advise you to explore the Google search bar by typing “UW undergraduate research [insert your interest here].”  This was much more efficient than attempting to navigate the university website on the prowl for any sign of open positions.  Through this internet hunt, however, I stumbled across some ongoing projects which peaked my attention. I am currently working on my most mind-boggling task of the week: how to cold-email researchers.

Here we will go through the steps on how to reach out to a professor who has no history with you as a student.

1. The subject should be something along the lines of “Undergraduate research – [Lab name].”  From my brief research on subject lines and cold emails, you could also include your last name and graduation year, as well as the phrase “CV/resume attached.”  I learned that most professors will not even open an email that does not have a clear attachment.  On that note, make sure your curriculum vitae or resume is up-to-date, has a clear personal statement, and no spelling errors.
  2. The heading was my favorite part – “Dear Professor [last name].”
  3. Introduce yourself.  Name, major (or intended major), graduation year.  I heard a rumor around campus that a lot of professors like undergraduates in the first or second years because those students can foster a close connection with the researcher for a longer period of time.  Do not be intimidated if you feel you are too inexperienced or young to be emailing.
  4. Show demonstrated interest.  How did you find this lab?  Why do you care about their research?  A quick two or three sentences is sufficient.  Keep it brief; professors do not have time to read through your life story of why their work is meaningful to you.
  5. Why are you emailing?  One source mentioned that “I am looking for any available position in your lab” is the perfect segway to pop the question.
  6. And, mention your availability.  I would be starting in Autumn 2022, so I would need to state this clearly in my email.  How many days a week would you be available, and for how many hours?  Be honest.  You can also describe here how you can meet with them at their office hours to answer any follow-up questions and discuss your desires more.
  7. Why should they pick you?  If you do not have prior research experience, you can discuss previous coursework, relevant jobs, or genuine curiosity.  Rephrase your lack of research as dedication to learn.
  8. Mention that you attached your CV or resume.  And do not forget to attach.
  9. “Thank you for your consideration.  Please contact me if you have any further questions.”
  10. The sign-off.  Conclude with, “Sincerely, [your name].”  
  11. Spell-check.  Grammar-check.  
  12. How are you going to respond to a potential follow-up email if the professor is interested?  Prepare!

While cold-emailing might seem difficult or terrifying, especially at such a large school like UW, there is no shame if a researcher does not respond to you.  There are plenty of opportunities, yet it might take a while to find a good fit for you and the professor.  These emails require immense confidence to send this email, so once you click that “Send” button, you should give yourself a pat on the back.  Round of applause, actually.  Be proud of yourself.

Good luck to you on finding and securing a research position. 

Maggie is a junior at the University of Washington from San Francisco, California. She is majoring in Public Health - Global Health, and doubling minoring in Data Science and Nutrition. Maggie is a tour guide for UW and the social media coordinator for the Food Pantry. She is super excited to continuing on this project as a writer for Her Campus this year, and be able to share her writing pieces with other like-minded women!