Life > Experiences

Campus Conversations with Jamie Polonet: Her Role as SEED Representative

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Jamie Polonet is a current freshman here at the University of Washington. Originally from New Jersey, she moved across the country to pursue a degree in Bioresource Science and Engineering. With this degree she hopes to become an environmental engineer. She realized her passion to help the environment when she applied to college and decided her major. When looking into majors and jobs, she saw that UW was the right fit for her both academically and socially. She joined SEED at the beginning of 2021 as the representative for Haggett Hall, a dorm at UW. 

1. Can you explain to me what SEED is and what they do on campus?

“SEED is Students Expressing Environmental Dedication, which is what it stands for. It’s an organization that wants to expand students’ knowledge on environmental topics like recycling and composting. It wants to teach students how to live a more sustainable life.”

1. What does your role entail?

“I share the information I learn from SEED with the Haggett People’s Council every week. I also work with the other representatives to come up with opportunities for students to be a part of the club. Right now we are planning a thrifting project.”

1. What made you want to take on this role?

“I have a passion for the environment and keeping it healthy. I want to share my knowledge of the environment with the world and other students. I also wanted to be a part of HPC to become more involved with the school.”

1. What has been your favorite part of the club?

“My favorite part of this has been making posters to encourage water conservation. These posters have tips for students to turn off water when brushing their teeth or to take shorter showers. I also like the community of the club because they are all supportive and encourage you to share your ideas.”

1. How do you think SEED creates positive change?

“They bring awareness to subjects that could be improved upon on campus. They encourage students to compost and recycle around campus. We also tell students what they can recycle and compost to help educate students.”

1. Why should people join SEED?

“If you have an interest in contributing to the well being on campus and spreading awareness to students this would be a good fit for you. It is not too overwhelming of a club as well, especially for freshmen.” 

Jamie’s role as SEED Representative for Haggett Hall will continue until the end of this year. In the following years, she will still be an active member of SEED or hopes to take on a larger role in the club.

Elizabeth Williams

Washington '25

Elizabeth Williams is one of the Campus Correspondents for University of Washington’s Her Campus chapter. As a freshman she was a Writer, followed by being a Corresponding Editor for a year. In her hometown of Wilton, Connecticut she developed her love of writing in high school. Now as a junior at the University of Washington, she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Psychology. Through her journalism classes she has covered a variety of topics about the environment, social media, and on-campus events. For Her Campus, she mainly writes about music, fashion, and college advice. She also just recently returned to campus from studying abroad in London! In her free time she loves reading (she read 25 books last year), doing hot yoga, and spending time with her roommates. If she’s not writing you can probably find her getting coffee or at a concert, most likely at Harry Styles’ Love on Tour or at Taylor Swift’s The Eras Tour. If you have read some of her articles, you can probably tell that her greatest achievements are getting tickets to concerts (a certified skill) and predicting the outcome of reality tv shows.