Career

Campus Conversations with Haley Chapman: Head in the Clouds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Haley Chapman is the embodiment of what it truly means to be a Dawg. Chapman is a sophomore here at the University of Washington double majoring in English and psychology, and potentially minoring in law or history. Beyond balancing her workload and an on-campus job, she recently became involved with a publishing company that focuses on enhancing the voices of younger writers so that the next generation of readers can find themselves through books.

Beyond just her love for writing, Chapman also wants to work towards change in the systems that were created to exploit marginalized groups. She is particularly active in social justice issues and plans on using her platform in the book editing industry now and in the future. Her interdisciplinary academic lens has enhanced her worldview and prompted more creativity in finishing her own book she started in high school. Chapman really does have her head in the clouds…or in a book!

1. What influences in your life prompted you to pursue this as a career?

Growing up, I read anything and everything I could get my hands on. As I got older, this passion and love for reading turned into a desire to write and think and learn about stories and experiences in my life, and much of this was prompted by the adults in my life that believed in my blossoming abilities.

1. How have you discovered opportunities to enhance your background in an editorial role?

In the past few months, I have been lucky enough to accept an internship position at an up-and-coming publishing company that works with the younger, fresher minds of Gen Z and gives underrepresented groups the chance to publish their writing. I was also able to write about my own story, as well as my peers’ experiences in high school as I was graduating, and have a publishing opportunity that I’m considering for this project. Overall, these opportunities have been extremely rewarding and have already taught me so much about myself and the world I’m preparing to immerse myself in out of college.

1. Have you ever doubted yourself and your abilities to accomplish your goals?

There have been many, many times where I have doubted myself and my motivation to achieve the goals I have set for myself. Between a lack of trust in myself that I can complete projects in time and finding the passion to write, and knowing that the publishing industry is a very hard shell to crack, I often find myself worrying about my future and how I will accomplish everything that I want to do. However, I am lucky enough to have amazing support from those around me, and I appreciate their faith in me to reach those goals!

1. How do you foresee your future in the publishing industry in the next 10 years?

In next ten years, I am hoping to keep my internship through senior year and then start either editing full time out of college or doing something different such as ghostwriting or free-lance writing!

1. How do you think your background in psychology will impact your ambitions in writing?

I have high hopes that my background in psychology will not hinder my writing goals and will instead help me to reach them quicker. In fact, one of my goals is to (one day) have a career that reflects both of my passions and lets them work together. For example, my psychological knowledge could help me build relationships with the authors I work with and make sure that their work is socially and psychologically accurate. 

1. What skills have you developed here at UW that will further your professional abilities?

UW has been an excellent place to foster my work ethic and stoke my passion for writing. As an English major, I am able to collaborate with my peers to discuss literature or work on writing pieces, which has helped me to refine my skills in ways that I wouldn’t have been able to do alone. I have only just broken the surface of opportunities here since I am a sophomore, and I can’t wait to see what other experiences UW has to offer!

1. What is your go-to Starbucks drink?

Venti iced chai with soy milk and two pumps of peppermint syrup.

Maggie is a junior at the University of Washington from San Francisco, California. She is majoring in Public Health - Global Health, and doubling minoring in Data Science and Nutrition. Maggie is a tour guide for UW and the social media coordinator for the Food Pantry. She is super excited to continuing on this project as a writer for Her Campus this year, and be able to share her writing pieces with other like-minded women!