Places To Eat When The Dining Hall Is Just Not Hitting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Now with practically the whole student body back on campus, we have seen in increase in wait times in our dining halls and in various other eateries on campus. If you’re like me, the second you see a long line for food and you’re starving, the last thing you want to do is wait in a 40-minute-long line for food – sometimes even longer. Of course, as a student, our one goal besides getting good grades is saving money. Using your dining account helps you refrain from spending an unnecessary amount of money on door dash or eating out, but if you’re looking for cheap places to eat that are not your usual dining hall food, here are my top 3 favorite places to eat near campus. 

Café On the Ave 

This place has fun vibe and its great not just for eating, but for sitting down, having a coffee, and doing all the homework you’ve been procrastinating on. It tends to be pretty busy during the school days and even more so during the weekend, but if you’re like me and can’t focus in complete silence, this is a pretty good place to do work (or pretend to at least… we all see that Shein tab open!) The numerous combinations of breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert foods are for sure to never bore you and they aren’t bad either! The wide array of drinks also makes this place one of my favs!

BB’S Teriyaki Grill

The portion sizes at this teriyaki restaurant are great and cheap too! This is also on the Ave and if you like noodles, anything teriyaki and great music, this is the place to be. It’s a fun place to bring a group of friends and they close late, which makes it perfect if you have those late-night cravings. They also have lighted seating outside so when the weather permits you can hang out outside and take a break from the chaos that is school! 

Oasis Tea Zone 

While Oasis wouldn’t classify as a place for “dinner,” they do have some awesome snacks and super yummy drinks. They have many places to sit and even have games that you can use with your group for a game night! This place tends to always be busy, especially at night, but the fun and comfortable vibe allows you to meet other people and have a relaxing night with friends. 

Sitlali Cortes

Washington '23

Sitlali is a third year student at the University of Washington and intended communications major! She's from Yakima, Washington and when she's not busy with school or work you'll find her with friends and family! She also enjoys reading and writing poetry and making playlists.