Alumni We Love: Bruce Lee

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

Bruce Lee is an icon. He is seen by many as the most influential martial artist of his time. And he went to UW!

Bruce Lee was born in Chinatown, San Francisco in 1940. He moved to Hong Kong with his parents shortly after, where he was raised until the age of 18. At that time, Lee went back to the states to claim his citizenship and start college. After living in San Francisco for a short period of time, he eventually wound up in Seattle at the University of Washington. Here he studied drama, philosophy and psychology, among other things. He also began to teach Kung-Fu to other UW students and ended up meeting his future wife, Linda Emery, at UW!

As most of us know, Bruce Lee went on to have a very successful film career and played a huge role in the popularity of martial arts films in the US in the 1960s and 1970s. He was an actor, philosopher and artist. Lee passed away at a young age on July 20th, 1973. He will always be remembered both in Seattle and worldwide.

Bruce, HC Washington loves you!

Avalon is in her second year at the University of Washington, and currently pursuing a BA in Global Studies. When she's not in class, Avalon works at UWB's Learning Technologies center as a student assistant. She enjoys making lists, eating delicious food, watching movies, and crafting. Avalon's favorite town is probably Cabo San Lucas.