9 Things You Didn’t Know Were Affecting Your Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Washington chapter.

1. Over-exfoliating

Cleansing your skin is good — striping the natural oils from your skin is bad. If you are worried about your skin, chances are that you are already using products to try to prevent breakouts and clogged pores. A lot of the time, cleansing and soap products can dry out the skin. However, most people follow cleansers with serums and moisturizers which prevents dryness. Try testing out your cleanser or make-up remover without putting on any other products afterward, and see how it leaves your skin feeling. If your skin is dry, you need hydrating products, and if your skin is oily, you need oil-control products. If your cleanser leaves your skin super dry or super oily, you may want to consider a different cleanser.

2. Your Pillowcase

Bacteria, oil, and dead skin cells tend to build up on pillowcases over time. The dirt from your pillowcase could be causing your pores to clog, which could lead to breakouts. To prevent this, try switching out the face of your pillowcase every few days. If you flip your pillowcase over after two to three days, switch with a second pillow, and flip it over after two days, your two pillows should last you six to twelve days.

3. Smoking

There are a plethora of different skin concerns linked to smoking, but the main three are acne, acne scarring, and delayed wound healing. When smoking, some of the particles may be absorbed into your skin which can clog your pores and cause breakouts. Secondly, smoking advances melanocyte formation which can lead to dark spots. Furthermore, smoking decreases the body’s immune function, making it harder for acne scars and other wounds to heal. Lastly, smoking is linked to an increased risk of skin cancer.

4. Too Much Light Exposure

Too much UV exposure to the skin harms the skin cells and slows/stops the healing process. This may lead to an increase in visible acne scarring as well. To prevent this, try wearing sunscreen when you plan on being exposed to the sun for long periods of time.

5. Milk Products

Milk products, especially processed milk products, have been linked to worsening effects on the skin. Milk can worsen inflammatory skin conditions, which may cause skin to appear more red and inflamed, and in extreme case scenarios cause physical pain when touched.

6. The Weather

Just as we have seasonal allergies, our skins’ can have seasonal breakouts. Atmosphere, temperature, and humidity are all factors that influence our skin. While it may be tempting to switch out your products as soon as the dry winter or humid summer comes in, trust that your skin will return to its natural state after a week or two of adjustment.

7. Lack of Sleep

When you sleep, your body’s cells are hard at work repairing and replenishing your body. Think about how if you had a hard workout you’re sore the next day, not right away, or a few days after. Similarly, your skin cells are hard at work at night. If you don’t give them enough time they won’t be able to repair your skin to the full extent everyday.

8. Exposure to Dust and Pollutants

Places that contain a lot of dirt or dust may cause your skin to clog up and break out. This could be as small as a thrift store, or your friend’s nasty garage. To prevent this, wear a mask or try to wash your face afterward. This is especially good to do if you have sensitive skin.

9. Hormonal Changes

As always, hormones strike again. You may not think you are going through a hormonal change, but random breakouts may be a sign pointing in the other direction. There are many things you can do to stop and prevent breakouts, but at the end of the day sometimes your body is just changing. Hang in tight, and trust that your body will sort things out.

Works Cited:

https://www.spartanburgderm.com/5-factors-that-could-negatively-affect-your-skin

https://www.healthline.com/health/skin/acne#causes

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/smoking-effect-on-skin#other-health-effects

Nirja Thaler

Washington '27

Nirja is a Staff Writer for HER Campus at Washington. She is an intended Philosophy and Economics double major. She was coeditor of her high school newspaper. She has been a part of various types of writing (such as poetry, songwriting, newspaper, and novel writing) clubs throughout her life. Nirja is passionate about exploring social justice issues. She enjoys writing articles that appeal to appeal to both sides of an argument. Originally, her intended major was journalism. With any topic she writes about, Nirja loves to relate the subject to a bigger concept in the community/world. She loves real-life pattern recognition and repetition examples. On her limited free time, Nirja enjoys playing and composing music. She pays piano, viola, guitar, and the ukulele. She is classically trained in piano, and has been playing for over six years. She also enjoys songwriting, and writes most of her songs on piano. In addition to music, she likes to run, crochet, and watch early 2000s movies.